This year was especially fun because Truman was able to design his own Valen-bot, and only had a teeny bit of help with the tape. He chose all of his robot's elements and had fun making it himself, modeling it after WALL-E.

Brigham had zero help. And that is why his . . . er . . . "robot(s)" have such an abstract look to them (though I think the second one looks like a French milliner wearing a bustle). "I want that piece! I want feathers! I wanna do the hot glue by mySELF!"


Mollie didn't make one. But isn't she cute?



My robot turned out to be a UFO, with a whimsical homage to the late Douglas Adams. In the tradition of naming my Valenbot, UFO stands for Unabashedly Fond Of (Allen).

Allen's turned out to be the coolest, I think. I love the mouth and the ears made out of phone plug thingies. His robot's name is SKELVIN: Serial Kilowatt Emitting Love Virulent INfinity. (I believed I already used the word "freaky" to describe this tradition, so don't get weirded out).
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
I have updated Bex Boox Reviews for 2009 (though I have yet to read a really great book this year . . . please give me some suggestions!) and added a cool site to Bex Top Web Pix. You might not know that my sisters and I have a blog that is all about "getting our thrift on" called "goodies to DI for." As Bonnie would say, "Don't be jell" when you check it out.
17 comments:
That is way too cool. You guys are awesome.
I love your valen-bots tradition!! So cute and original! As for a book suggestion, I just finished Three Cups of Tea and LOVED it.
Three Cups of Tea???! That's a title? Whatever happened to the good ole' Sue Grafton days: O Is For Obstetrician... etc.
Anyway, I don't think the picture of Becca's bot does it justice. It looks very UFOie in real life. Also, our cat knocked it over and it broke off of its pedestal. I am very sorry Becca.
I thought of the valen-bots last week and wondered when they would emerge. You know, if robots take over the world, this evil tradition of your will be partially to blame.
(Oh and I suggest you read "Protecting the Gift" by Gavin DeBecker for a book to heart. I heart it a lot. That is all.)
I have been awaiting this post for some time now. I LLLUUUURRVVVEE it! I am "Jell" of this tradition I must admit, and I can't wait to come up with one to out do it's originality. Be afraid, be very afraid.
Since I am so new to this blog thing I have never seen your Valen-bots before.. what a great tradition!! When I grow up I want to be a fun mom like you!!
I was reading the ghosts of valen-bots and saw the V-A-L-E-N-T-I-N-E song Dalton is learning that song right now and I find myself singing along with him.
Love the Valen-bots. You guys are the most creative people I know! Mollie is very cute and is getting so big! By the way, I told Michael about the video game bucks and we're both soooo excited to implement them. Allen's comment makes me laugh, by the way. Did you know that your cat broke your bot?
Melissa: I knew the wretched cat broke Unabashedly Fond Of, so Brigham and I fixed it yesterday. Twyla won't be getting any Valentines from me!
Sarah & Kimber: Thanks for the book suggestions! Keep 'em coming!
I wish I could be there to participate in your tradition!
First of all, I'm very, very impressed that you collect and keep track of all of the wonderful parts to use. That takes some foresight!
I love that they are the holders for your love notes too. It's such a great way to "think outside the (shoe)box". [I know how important it is for both you and Allen to 'think outside the box', after all!!!]
And it's great to come up with something that's really for you and Allen but also works so well for them.
Mollie's tights are perfect! When she outgrows them, they would look really, really cute on a Valen-bot!
Allen's picture always makes me smile.
And chuckle.
And be glad that I have a friend who is unafraid of his own digital dorkiness!
I love those Valen-bots! I think we need to make more stuff around here. Time to embrace the glue.
I've been waiting for this. Fun stuff Bec. I wish you were my relief society president :)
I meant to tell you - weeks ago - that I laughed and laughed at 'Justin's fish: too small to measure' or whatever label you put on the picture.
Burn!
Or more likely Freeze!
I love the goodies to DI for blog. What an inspired idea. I'm keeping my eyes open for foxes!
Those are awsome that is so fun that as a family you guys do that!!!!! Love ya
Erin: I sent Allen that profile picture as a joke, but he insisted on using it. "Digital Dorkiness" is exactly the right term!
What?! I did not insist on using it. You sent it to me after begging me to put a picture on my profile. I had no other picture of me on my computer and I finally consented. I don't mind it so much. It is pretty funny. But I was not pushing this picture.
That last comment was by me (Allen) not her (Becca).
Post a Comment