2009-02-14

Happy Allen-time!

This morning I awoke at 4:30.

To the sound of a song being played on the piano.

"Mary had a little lamb," to be precise.

I pushed on Allen and hissed, "Someone's playing the piano!" He got up and staggered downstairs to find Truman, happily plunking out the follies of Mary and her school-loving sheeplet. When Allen groggily asked, "Truman, what are you doing?", our son replied, in a perky tone, "I got up early to make Valentines for you and Mom!"


I heard the entire exchange, and as Allen staggered back upstairs, I staggered down to visit the bathroom. Every light in the house was blazing. I told Truman it was nice to get up early to make Valentines, but please don't play the piano at 4:30 in the morning. "The cat was playing first . . . but I was the one who played Mary had a little lamb." Ah. Good. I hope the cat sticks to songs about her own species.

Truman did make Valentine cards for Allen and I . . . plus used his 15 video game bucks to play video games . . . and watched two movies (The Princess Bride and Lilo and Stitch), before the rest of us arose.
Truman's card to me--he made this picture last night using TuxPaint, a totally cool, kid-friendly, and free piece of software.
Truman's guitar card to Allen--I love it when kids run out of room, so they just put the letters in the closest space available.

Brigham's card to me . . . it's a hug.


This was one of my coupons for Allen . . . we usually watch movies only on Friday nights, but Allen wishes it was every night. I gave him quite a few of these and they were easily his favorite Valentines . . . even more than my She-ra, Princess of Power card, if you can believe it.

And here is my favorite of Allen's cards to me. I can't decide which thing is the funniest: the actual message, poking fun at Twilight, or using some craft scissors to, er, decoratively cut around the card . . . Allen cut it out, not Brigham.

Aside from being unable to fall back asleep until some time around 5:15, it's been a lovely day--I love getting and giving homemade cards. Allen's card alone made my day (Ben Stellmon, husband to my high school friend Jade, did something almost as funny).


And, right in time, we got a great Valentine package from Nana today! Truman and Brigham were surprised with new Lego sets, and Mollie is completely enraptured with her sweet little doll. The pacifier alone is guaranteeing me fifteen minutes of freedom per day, as you can see in the video below. Thanks, Nana!

15 comments:

Bon said...

Fantastically Frolicking Felines. Fun for all and Fabulously Frugal. Ok so I made no sense at all. I was trying to leave a comment like yours. I guess I am not that creative!

But boogs...I had a great laugh at Allen's card!! And I love that Truman LOVES the piano. You need to get him in lessons so him and Savanah can help each other. She loves her piano lessons and does great too!

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

Allen is oooways good for a giggle.
I thought it was sweet of Truman to wake up at 4:30 a.m.. I mean what could be a better Valentine? I loved Brigs hug card, too cute.
I will miss the days when the fingers on their drawings actually look like fingers and not razor sharp claws.
Did their Nana send that package just for Valentine's Day? Molly looks especially cute with her new doll. I wish your stupid video had sound, "ANNOYING"... (in my Truman voice).

Mystial Batwoman said...

Seriously Cru and Truman need to go bowling. Early morning video games and never a light switch turned off. Loved reading this one! And Allen your creativity is limitless especially when there are so many crafty scissors to choose from. Nice guys!

Anonymous said...

I love that you make your own cards. That hug card is the sweetest thing.

Courtney said...

Perhaps your valentine to Allen should be some lessons in cutting. :)

I love the poking fun at Twilight (BRILLIANT - this coming from a Twilight boycotter!)

Mary Had a Little Sleep, very little indeed!

Walkers said...

Allen's card is great, but I think that Truman takes the cake for funniest valentine....

Juli said...

Becca, Why am I perusing your blog at 10:06 pm when my body says sleep, sleep, sleep? Because it is so fun to read and look at. Thanks for keeping many NWAans informed and entertained. I would say, "I hope your Valentine's was great," but after reading about it I will say this: I know your Valentine's was great. Love you! Juli

Dave and Candace said...

I LOVE the Valentines cards. You all are just too much fun! I'm glad that Truman had such a great Valentines day . . . that lasted extra long. I always love reading your posts!

Becca said...

Courtney: next year I am giving Allen scissors lessons . . . your comment made me laugh!

Juli: your comment made my day! How fun to get such a nice comment at 10:06 MST, when MY body is saying, "sleep, sleep!"

Kristine said...

I think I am going to reconsider starting Curtis on piano lessons. I can imagine him being like Truman and waking the entire house early in the morning with some lovely song.

Also, thanks for the great link to Tux Paint. I showed it to Curtis and he is addicted. He is my artsy little boy and it is fun to see him get to make fun things on the computer. It also taught him how to Finally use a mouse.

dragonlady66 said...

I thought being unstraight was how it should be done. GOOD job Allen. Wonderful cards.

Elise said...

Are Truman and Thomas the same person? I'm having a major Twilight Zone moment. I am going to copy the second part to "Russian Wedding Dance" for Truman, so the next time we get together, they can play a duet. Dum dum, da dum dum, da dum dum dum da dum dum... Mmm, you'll love it.

Allen's Valentine is so awesome. It reminds me a little bit of a "virtual bouquet" Chris once printed for me-- though I have to say that Allen's takes the cake in hilarity. You guys have Valentine's Day down!

Joy said...

Love the valentine cards!

Your kids must be on my kids' schedules. My daughter has awoken at 4 a.m. three times in the past 2 weeks.

I love Allen's card. hehehee...you guys have so much fun! The robots are very nice too!

Melissa Monday said...

I love Truman's valentine surprises to you. Playing Mary Had a Little Lamb for a nice valentine surprise is perhaps the cutest thing I've ever heard. You guys are a awesome!

Melissa said...

Becca, I just died laughing at Allen's card. How thoughtful of him