2009-02-18

(Home) Economics 101

"The Economy" (with a capital E) is a subject on the mind of most Americans these days. It's talked about so much that some are tempted to make light of it, but the effects of our national recession are a little too real to turn it into a joke. I know that people are losing jobs, losing money, losing hope. I know a lot of people feel afraid about job security, retirement funds, or what the future holds for their children . . . but I think one good way to react to these (very real) problems is to find things to laugh about and take pleasure in.

In the spirit of looking on the bright side (but not in the spirit of being flippant or unrealistic), here's a recipe I've come up with to help those pinched pennies stretch even further.


I've taken to adding the words "Economic Recession" to every area of my life in which I am trying to save money or cut corners. It makes both Allen and I laugh, and I think that's a good thing. The words "Economic Recession" have lost whatever "fearful" power they may have had before, and it's like we're saying, "Hey, we can make it through this! We have each other, we have our family and our faith, and we'll be okay."

Here's the cost break-down of this delicious dish:
  1. chicken thighs: 12-pack at Winco................... $4.50
    (Six at a time = $2.25 per meal)
  2. lemon: .......................................................... $.50
  3. Mrs. Dash: (2.5 ounce jar) ............................. $3.50
    (About one-fourth of the jar = $.88)
Grand Total: ........................................................... $3.63
Add some homemade bread and your favorite frozen vegetables, and you're looking at feeding your family of six for around $6 at the most.

Of course, you might make this easy, yummy, cost-efficient, in-your-face-Economic-Recession meal, then set the table lovingly and call everyone in to dinner, only to have your (extremely picky) four-year-old announce, "I am so, so disappointed . . . of this dinner."


This coming from a kid who won't eat frosting.

Here's a picture of the assembly, in case my directions seem unclear. It's one of our (Brigham excepted) new favorite meals!


14 comments:

Little Wonders said...

Becca- This does look delicious! This one time I will have disregard Brigham's opinion and try it for myself. Thanks for sharing and for cheering me up during these hard Economic Recession times!

Bon said...

It actually looks economically divine! I love what Briglett said about it too!

Oh boogity, why won't you show your favorite v-day valentine's from Allen? It was so hilarious!! heehee

Keep up the posting...I LOOOOORRRRVVVEEEEE your posts!!

KT said...

I make something like this.

same amt of chick breasts.
Dump some no name brand (or whatever you have) italian dressing on it and some garlic salt and cook.

Woot!

Oh and Buddy hates everything I make right now, so I feel you.

Kristine said...

we must be in a recession if you are eating chicken.

Elise said...

Becca, I love your blog so very much. I love the recipe (one of these days I'll have to post our favorite "Ritzy Chicken"-- maybe not quite as inexpensive, but close, and so, so yummy) and I love Brigham's comment even more!

Joy said...

I call meals like this "poor man's..." whatever it might be. Unfortunately, it seems like every time I try to make a poor man's meal, my whole family turns their noses up at it. What babies :D Haha!

Leila said...

Love the idea of putting the lemon under the skin. I just happen to have chicken thighs in the freezer and a lemon in the frige. With Brian coming home today (YEAH!) I'll start really cooking again and now I have a great idea!

Rivka said...

I'm making this tonight. Recess that, economy!

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

I already have all of the ingredients and I can't wait to try it out. I think this might be our Sunday feast. I really need you to teach me how to format those 3x5 cards.
I love hearing Brig's cute little voice in my head, announcing how unpleased he is, too funny. I only hope I won't be as disapointed.
I can't wait for our little Trip-Di-De-Do-Da!

Melissa Monday said...

I love Brigham's comment. Isn't it fun to try and not disappoint? We'll have to try it sometime. My kids love chicken.

Erin said...

Oh Brigham - I feel your pain.

But I LOVE the pics. Those lemon slices are so attractive! You're a regular Martha Stewart, Becca. Your recipe cards are so darling. I enjoy printing them and thinking about making the recipes, especially the muffins.

Oh the muffins!
Oh the muffin top pan is more like it.
Still sad about that...

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried just pouring a can of cream of chicken soup over the top of whatever kind of chicken, or beef, or pork, or even fish, or tofu (just for you, Gina and Erin)? YUM! Linda! Cream of chicken soup lovers of the eighties UNITE!!!

Juli said...

This post is what inspired me to turn my sewing post into an ECOnomics/logy post. Thanks for your ideas!

Little Wonders said...

I'm with Cori! Long live Cream o' soup Lovers!