This is the first year in about 7 years that we have not held Thanksgiving at our own house. It was so nice to take a break from hosting! Kathryn and Boyd put on a great spread in Daybreak, on one of the snowiest weekends of the year.
 |
Calvin said the Thanksgiving prayer and Kathryn snapped this cute picture. |
It was fortuitous that we had already planned on being in Utah, because my grandpa's funeral was the day after Thanksgiving, in Ogden (more about that in next post). The roads were so icy and horrible that whole week--we were glad we had good conditions from Daybreak to Ogden, on city highways that managed to stay ice-free.
Kathryn and I had fun coming up with our menu--I brought two pies (cookie pie and apple pie), bacon-and-green-bean-roll-ups, and made two pans of rolls. Boyd smoked the turkey and we all thought it had been overcooked, but it was the most tender, delicious Thanksgiving turkey I have ever had. It's the way turkey was meant to be prepared, as far as I'm concerned. Kathryn made mashed potatoes, cranberry salad, stuffing, and had a delicious cheese board out for snacking. Everything was delicious!
 |
| Oh my, oh my, oh apple pie! |
 |
| Pies as the centerpiece is the best way to celebrate |
 |
| Yummers. |
We didn't just eat--we also had fun taking snowy walks to the temple, staying up late talking, watching movies, taking the kids to
Frozen 2, and just being together in general. Austin came up from BYU, and it was great to spend time with him and soak up his personality.
 |
| Allen and Kathryn (and Lucy) at the temple |
 |
| We had such a nice walk in the snow! |
 |
| Oquirrh Mountain temple at its brightest |
 |
| This is my favorite picture from that trip. You can tell that we really have fun together. |
 |
| And this is my next favorite picture... |
 |
| Truman's selfie |
 |
| Austin's selfie |
Kathryn is so sweet and so laid-back. She is very easy to be around and very easy to love. She always hugs my kids and is excited to see them and talk to them. Kathryn is such a good girl, and I love the environment she creates with her smile, fun-loving nature, and warmth--I'm so grateful to have her as my own sister!
 |
| Another walk after the meal--got to make room for pie! |
The kids had fun with their cousins, too. Brigham loves having a chance to play Uncle Boyd in Madden (I think he beat Boyd soundly on this trip), Truman was glad to have a "big cousin" there when Austin showed up. And Mollie and Ben and Chase watched YouTube and read books, while Miles and Calvin and Cole tore around the house.
Frozen 2 was the perfect end to Thanksgiving Day (and for Allen and Boyd,
Midway was the perfect end to their Thanksgiving). It was so funny and I think Kathryn and I enjoyed it as much as the kids did.
 |
| Reclining seats! |
 |
| Ana and Elsa foreverrrrrrrrrrrrr! |
 |
| Truman: he tall. |
Thank you, Kathryn and Boyd, for such a great Thanksgiving! It was delicious and fun and relaxing for us--the perfect holiday trifecta!
No comments:
Post a Comment