2019-11-07

Exits and Entrances

Yesterday was bittersweet, heavy on the sweet. Ali and I met up on I-15 and headed north to visit our 93-year-old Grandpa Joseph Anderson and (almost) 84-year-old Grandma Mollie Coon. Both are not doing as well as they have been--it's so hard to see your loved ones feeling scared and confused. Despite some bewilderment and repetition, they smiled and laughed with us (and recognized us!). It was wonderful to hold their hands and tell them we love them.

Grandma Mollie has always been sharp as a tack--with names and dates at her fingertips.  It was very difficult to see her in a compromised mental state.  It came on very suddenly and sharply just a few weeks ago.  I am so glad Ali and I went to see her.
Sweet Grandma Mollie.  Oh, this picture makes me teary.
My mom has been caring for her dad for over two years now, along with her sister, my Aunt Cindy.  Grandpa's decline has been a lot slower.  Both grandparents knew who we were, and both laughed with us and teased us . . . but they thought so many things were going on that weren't.  There was a lot of worry on their faces.  It was so hard to see.  I just love these people who have always been a part of my life.
Grandpa is being cared for so well by my mom and aunt!

It was nice to spend a quick morning with Mommy, too!
 We also got to see our newest nephew, Tripp! He is as adorable as his five older sisters, and we pretty much fought over who got to hold him longest.  Tripp is not the first Coon grandson, but he is the first COON grandson, who will carry on the family name.  He is named after my Great Grandpa, Everett Tripp Maxfield.
Isn't he ADORABLE?

 There were tacos, brownies, sodas, and SISTERS! I am the luckiest. Hashtag Coondashians. 😉
Tacos at the Coon Sisters favorite taco truck.  Then Ali
and I also got dinner there (quecas!) on our way out of town.
I like how we are all looking at a different place . . . 

...all the men and women merely players.
They have their exits and their entrances,
And one man in his time plays many parts...
(As You Like It, II.vii)

No comments: