Brigham: Truman, who is your bestest friend in the whole wide world?
Truman: You.
Brigham: What? I didn't know you liked me. I thought it was Thomas or Graham.
Truman: Thomas and Graham are my second best friends after you.
Brigham: (in a very taunting voice) But sometimes you punch me in the eyeballs. And sometimes you like to tease me. And sometimes you--
Truman: I'm gonna punch you in the eyeballs right now if you don't stop talking.
Maybe this conversation sounds mean to an outsider, but it literally brought tears to my eyes. Especially when Brigham said, "I didn't know you liked me." It wasn't said with malice or disdain or even surprise--it was with genuine delight. Like how you would respond if someone told you they were going to give you their full piggy bank.
Truman spent his first night in his own "room" last night. [Our basement, which is still mostly a food storage and out-of-season clothing/holiday storage. It is very small--about twelve feet by twenty feet, I would say. It has concrete walls and floors, and an exposed-beam ceiling that shows all the plumbing and wiring, and which is also only five feet, eight inches tall--so I can walk down there without hitting my head, but Allen can't. Hopefully Truman won't surpass my height for a couple of years. We re-arranged things and put a bed and desk and shelf down there for him as a Christmas present, and he loves it, despite sharing space with a water heater, water softener, large furnace, a rolling can shelf, industrial metal shelving full of food, a large shelf with all of our board games, Rubbermaids full of maternity and winter clothes, Rubbermaids full of Halloween and Christmas decorations, and many buckets of hard red winter wheat]. Anyway, though he is totally enamored with having his own "space," I think he missed Brigham last night. They have shared a room for all of Brigham's six years, and it's nice to know that Brigham is more than a little brother . . . he's actually a bestest friend in the whole wide world.
The other thing that made this Sunday-after-Christmas just perfect is this picture. Cori gave Mollie an almost-all-gone tube of lip gloss, and she is in princessy heaven.
Truman: You.
Brigham: What? I didn't know you liked me. I thought it was Thomas or Graham.
Truman: Thomas and Graham are my second best friends after you.
Brigham: (in a very taunting voice) But sometimes you punch me in the eyeballs. And sometimes you like to tease me. And sometimes you--
Truman: I'm gonna punch you in the eyeballs right now if you don't stop talking.
Maybe this conversation sounds mean to an outsider, but it literally brought tears to my eyes. Especially when Brigham said, "I didn't know you liked me." It wasn't said with malice or disdain or even surprise--it was with genuine delight. Like how you would respond if someone told you they were going to give you their full piggy bank.
Truman spent his first night in his own "room" last night. [Our basement, which is still mostly a food storage and out-of-season clothing/holiday storage. It is very small--about twelve feet by twenty feet, I would say. It has concrete walls and floors, and an exposed-beam ceiling that shows all the plumbing and wiring, and which is also only five feet, eight inches tall--so I can walk down there without hitting my head, but Allen can't. Hopefully Truman won't surpass my height for a couple of years. We re-arranged things and put a bed and desk and shelf down there for him as a Christmas present, and he loves it, despite sharing space with a water heater, water softener, large furnace, a rolling can shelf, industrial metal shelving full of food, a large shelf with all of our board games, Rubbermaids full of maternity and winter clothes, Rubbermaids full of Halloween and Christmas decorations, and many buckets of hard red winter wheat]. Anyway, though he is totally enamored with having his own "space," I think he missed Brigham last night. They have shared a room for all of Brigham's six years, and it's nice to know that Brigham is more than a little brother . . . he's actually a bestest friend in the whole wide world.
The other thing that made this Sunday-after-Christmas just perfect is this picture. Cori gave Mollie an almost-all-gone tube of lip gloss, and she is in princessy heaven.
6 comments:
What a cute moment between your boys! Is it weird that it brought a little tear to my eye? Hmm...Possibly.
I bet Truman is loving having his own room! It sounds very industrial chic.
Mollie is a doll, darling. A doll!
Love the post :)
Lindy
I bet the new room is so fun for him. I have been wondering how we can split up our kids who all share one room (hmm . . . the garage?). By the way, the Christmas crepes sound great!
I bet Truman is loving his new room! And that is the cutest thing ever...teared up a little myself!
Mollie looks cute as ever!!
i hope one day my kids will say they are each others best friends. and how exciting that truman gets his own room. you are a good mom!
Loved this post. Cameron laughed really hard at the end of Truman & Brighams conversation! I can't wait to see Tru's new room! Bet he loves being on his own! Miss you! Can't wait to see you TODAY!!!
That is such a cool little conversation. I know exactly what you mean when you want to cry from little conversations that they have. Con and Will had one like it just the other day and Will too said something along the lines fo not knowing Connor liked him or some such thing. I love your family Beccs. Meg
Post a Comment