
It was not as cold as last year, but January mornings in the mountains are never exactly warm. We arrived at the fishing derby around 10 AM, and the kids all managed to quickly freeze their fingers and toes. Allen and Justin, however, were die-hards . . . they stayed out till we caught our limit.

Last year, the Renfroe boys hauled in the largest fish, so the Robertsons came prepared to smash all records. And smash them they did. I don't know if we'll ever catch a fish bigger than Justin's 11 pound, 8 ounce rainbow. The winning fish of the day weighed 13 pounds, 3 ounces, so Justin was only a few ounces shy of taking home a cash prize. We managed to capture the moment on camera for everyone on the world wide web to enjoy. My favorite part? Sharla saying, "AAAAOhhhhhh!" with horror when the fish appears to be getting away.

Poor Allen, his only fish of the day weighed five pounds even. But his triumphant stance in the picture below disguises his disappointment well . . . maybe next year, honey!

While the dads worked for several hours at their outdoor fish-cleaning station (it was Allen's brilliant idea to use the picnic table--luckily the sun had come out by then), Sharla and I put the babies down for naps and took Truman, Jamen, Emmit, and Brigham to the free movie and free lunch. Naturally, the visit could not be complete without a visit to the geyser . . . the perfect closing ceremonies.

Poor Allen, his only fish of the day weighed five pounds even. But his triumphant stance in the picture below disguises his disappointment well . . . maybe next year, honey!

While the dads worked for several hours at their outdoor fish-cleaning station (it was Allen's brilliant idea to use the picnic table--luckily the sun had come out by then), Sharla and I put the babies down for naps and took Truman, Jamen, Emmit, and Brigham to the free movie and free lunch. Naturally, the visit could not be complete without a visit to the geyser . . . the perfect closing ceremonies.

Once again, the Robertsons were delightful house guests. Sharla and I were constantly laughing at Mollie, who became distressed at everything Dylan did. "Oooooo-oh, Baby, no-no-no." The boys had video game tournaments and alternated between playing hide-and-seek, board games, and light sabers. They got along better than ever, and it was so nice to just stay out of their way and let them play.


Sharla was practically begging for me to stay up all night so she could help me paint my dining room. But, we thirty-year-olds are easily pooped. After our action-packed day, I don't think even one of those hideous energy drinks could have helped me stay awake. And besides, we couldn't have bought paint at Ace Hardware--everything in Caribou County closes at nine.


See you again for Winter Carnival 2011--when it's our year to bring home the trophy fish!
5 comments:
I am super jell that Shar and fam have been house guests. Sniff...I am still waiting for them to come see me! I love that picture of you and Shar you both look gorgeous!
And boogs does stocked fish really count as fishing???
I LOVED last year's winter carnival post. I still smile at the comments you posted on the picture of Justin. Can't believe it's been a year ... since I read that post! I'm glad to have the tradition in just a small way :)
Speaking of love, Allen's picture is terrif! I've never seen a picture that so fully captures him, imo. Joyous, camo-jacketed, cold, happy! What a guy.
Those dead fish were gross, however.
Becca, you & Sharla are some brunette lookers! Love the bangs and love the close up sister shot. Gorgfab? Is that the new ID lingo? If so, I'm using it!
That was huge!!! I'm so coming to soda :)
Love the fish. Love hearing your voice. Love the pics of the kids and the cousins and you two sisters. Hey- Elinor and Troy made a snowman that might rival yours! I'll take a pic. xo!
We cleaned and filleted 12 large trout, nine of which (we soon found) were pregnant with about 14,000 baby fish. Actually, I don't mind doing it. It's nice to get the fish ready to cook. In fact, Justin and I searched around and finally found a good way to efficiently clean all the bones out of those pesky trout. Call me if you want to know how (or type, how to debone a trout on youtube).
Post a Comment