My sister, Sharla, and her family stayed with us over the weekend, and it was such a fun time! Before I go into details and post pictures and gush over how much I love our small, frigid town . . . I gotta say that the best part of the weekend was being with my sister. Even though we packed a lot in, we somehow managed to have a peaceful, relaxing time together. I love being with all of my sisters because we can transition from talking about silly, funny, frivolous things to serious, difficult, stressful things, and then back again. Watching Sharla interact with her husband and kids, her even-temperedness and kind nature really stood out--she is a great example to me of patience. Our boys loved having one-on-one cousin time, and I hope we won't wait until next year's Winter Carnival to do it again.
Justin made me laugh almost immediately. This is the first time they've seen our house, and when I showed them the bathroom, he saw my rubber duck collection and said, "You're sick." Sharla giggled uncontrollably, and I responded with my usual, "Don't be jealous." (I know you are, Justin!)
We got to the "fishing derby" at about nine AM on Saturday, and it was packed (there were a lot of out-of-staters there, too . . . but I can't really blame those who have always dreamed of catching a big fish and can't find any in their own deprived states). Here's what happens, as I understand it: the fish hatchery here in town lets 1,000 fish go into the the four ponds below their facility. The smallest of these fish are all two-pounders, and the largest are around fifteen pounds. If you catch the largest fish (last year's winner was a 14-pounder), you get the $300 prize, plus a free mounting from a local taxidermy place. But everyone can expect to catch some 4- and 5-pound trout. Here's our catch:After bringing the fish home, we quickly drove to the historic Ender's Hotel, and got a free lunch in the Geyserview restaurant. Each of the kids got to pick out a free gift, too! We ran out the door and around back to see the Soda Springs geyser erupt right on schedule (it goes off every hour, on the hour). No matter how many times my kids have seen it, they invariably squeal with delight when water starts shooting in the air.
.jpg)
.jpg)
Sweet little 6-month-old Dylan smiled the entire time: I've never seen a happier baby. The kids had just as much fun playing with each other (if not more) than they did catching monster trout or gazing at the geyser. It really was a wonderful day, and reaffirmed the fact that we love visitors. So come and see us!







.jpg)
.jpg)
.jpg)

.jpg)
15 comments:
It was a fun day indeed. We did all the stuff that Becca said... and more. I think, though, that Truman's fish had a lot of snow stuck to it when we weighed them and that's why it came out that his was supposedly "0.2 lbs heavier". Also, my fish sat on the shore longer and lost more blood, so that is another factor that really affected the weigh-in in his favor. That said, I'm not goning to tell anyone about it. I just want Truman to continue in his belief that he caught the biggest fish, however false that belief may be. Because I love him, and it really doesn't bother me if his fish was bigger (but it wasn't).
Oh I am so jealous! What a fun way to catch fish....although Beau says fish that are stocked there isn't REAL fishing! HA! He must be jealous!
I can't wait to come see you guys sometime! And for the ReCoonion!!
I love it, and I' so jealous! I really want to come up in a few weekends. I'm going to find out for sure on Friday and I will let you know. Love you and Miss you SOOOO much (seems like I haven't seen you forever.)
What fun! I always love reading your posts because your family always has so much darn fun. I love the rubber duckie collection!
I agree with everyone about being jealous. It overwhelms my thoughts. I love your blog Bec. The fun pictures, good advice, funny sayings, and most of all, the yummy recipes!
The big rubber ducks are a bit FREAKY!!
You are sick. That is way too many rubber duckies in one place.
Becca,
My Hanna and I love your duckies. Her eyes got huge at the s picture. She likes the silver one the best.
The winter fest looks like a blast.
Glad that everyone had a great time.
Hey becca thanks again for the fabulous time. I love you
It looks like ya'll have an endless number of things to do there in Soda Springs. I didn't know that ya'll have a gyser there. How cool is that? Millions of people travel to see the oh so famous "old Faithfull" but ya'll "old faithfull's sister in your backyard.
Love you and I'm really tired right now.
Your blog is so fun to read. Your sister has thee cutest short hair ever. You are so cute, becca! I wish you lived close to me, so I can get to know you even better than I did in TEXAS.
Wo- those are huge fish! I have to admit that Allen's fish does look bigger in the picture than Truman's. I'm glad that Allen is such a good dad and that it doesn't bother him that his son caught a bigger fish than he did.
I like the new layout but I must admit that i was suprised to see diamonds. Maybe you could make them sparkle or something like that to add even more bling. Kind of like glitter.
My mouth is watering just looking at the fish. Yummy.
Nintendo face...I'm still laughing!
Heard all about the trip. Looks like you guys had a lot of fun.
You're so lucky to live close to your family, Becca. This post makes me homesick for mine. What fun!
Post a Comment