I am so sad. Today I learned about the passing of a dear friend from high school, Jared Flint. He was a huge part of my formative years (we even went to elementary together!), and one of my favorite people. He was as funny as he was intelligent, and as smart as he was kind.
![]() |
| Jared and I after "A Poor Unfortunate Creature" in The Good Doctor, 1997 |
I remember complaining one time about another kid our age--I said that kid was a know-it-all, and Jared kindly defended him with "I don't think so--I think he is just genuinely excited about what he knows!" Jared was right, and It totally changed my perception. He taught me to be kind.
Jared and I went trick-or treating together our senior year--he dressed as a chef and I dressed as a convict. There was a nine- or ten-year-old who was knocking doors on our same "route," and we felt a little sheepish about being too old to trick-or-treat, so we told people that kid was our son. By the end of the night, when our bags were full of candy, the kid waved,"Bye, Mom and Dad!" and we parted ways.
I remember visiting Jared at ISU when we were both in college. He had been honing his calligraphy skills, and had the most beautiful, intricate, framed piece of his own calligraphy hanging on his dorm wall. It said "Eat Sh#*" and made me laugh so hard. He was a master of humor--understated and overstated.
My sisters and I made a scarecrow one year in the Fall, then took it a step further and hung it from a noose on our basketball hoop. Jared told me at school the next day, "My mom drove by your house and saw that scarecrow. She says I'm not allowed to play with you anymore." We were in high school.
We had great times together in choir and in plays and musicals and in History and Calculus and English classes. Jared was scary-smart and so talented. He just blew everyone away with his singing and impersonations and improvisations. I still remember, every January 23rd, that it is his birthday. He was one of those people who impact your life for good.
I will miss him every day. I wish his family peace. I hope you know Jared was so loved. He IS so loved.
PS- I wish I had some regular photos of us NOT in thick stage makeup together. I know I have a photo somewhere of Jared from elementary school wearing an argyle pullover vest--I will scour every nook and cranny until I find it!
![]() |
| 1996: The Pirates of Penzance. He was the very model of a modern major-general |
| Pirates of Penzance |
![]() |
| After The Curious Savage in 1995 |
![]() |
| Scene from "Too Late For Happiness" in The Good Doctor, 1997 This was the only "musical" part of this play--it was such a pleasure to sing with Jared. |
![]() |
| Jared in 2018 |





No comments:
Post a Comment