We had a fifth Sunday discussion in our ward yesterday, even though it was the second Sunday :). Our stake presidency made the decision for our wards to return to all church meetings: sacrament meeting, Sunday School, primary, Relief Society, youth meetings, and priesthood meetings, and having church at home is not an option, unless you have individual approval from the bishop.
From July 8th to the end of December (minus a six-week break in October/November when the COVID numbers were climbing in our county), we had been meeting for 45-minute sacrament services in the chapel, sitting every other row, using extra care and guidelines in the administration the sacrament, with an option to have church at home.
Since this new move two weeks ago, our bishop has been fielding concerns from ward members about exposure to COVID-19, and felt it would be good to talk about this issue with ward members, so we used the second hour of church to do that.
It was discouraging.
So many people got angry so quickly. I am generalizing, of course, but the broad consensus of Caribou County residents seems to be, "It's not as bad as everyone says. We'll be fine. No one can make me wear a mask." I was excited for a move to participate more fully in church meetings, but so surprised that most people want to do that without any masks, social distancing, or extra precautions in classrooms. I am not worried for myself or my kids, but we have many immunocompromised members in our ward, and coronavirus could have serious consequences for them.
This despite such loving and direct counsel from apostles and prophets, like this message from Elder Renlund:
...as a Church we will be judged by how we treat the vulnerable and disadvantaged in our societies. As the COVID-19 pandemic spreads around the world, it wreaks havoc among those who are already disadvantaged. Sadly, responses to the pandemic have been politicized and contentious. Our response need not be.
I don't think anyone is misinterpreting this counsel--they are just disregarding it. It has become so politicized and contentious. So many of my friends and neighbors do not share my same sentiments, and I don't want to love them any less or treat them any differently, though it is so hard not to feel saddened and frustrated by some of the things that were said in that meeting.
I don't want to forget these feelings, or what it is really like, emotionally, to be ten months into a global pandemic. I don't want my heart to "wax cold," I don't want to lose lovingkindness (one of the best English words, don't you think?) toward my brothers and sisters. I want to keep my heart soft and open, and try to serve and love the way Christ would.
It's hard to do, sometimes. Especially after a year that's been taxing on everyone, in so many ways.
Last week, I re-read President Nelson's address, "Let God Prevail." I had forgotten about the challenge he issued at the end of this talk:
As you study your scriptures during the next six months, I encourage you to make a list of all that the Lord has promised He will do for covenant Israel. I think you will be astounded! Ponder these promises. Talk about them with your family and friends. Then live and watch for these promises to be fulfilled in your own life.
Today I felt some real comfort when I began to accept this counsel. I got a notebook, wrote the quote above on the first page, then went to work. I went through three chapters of the Doctrine and Covenants, and the promises are coming thick and fast. I want to keep it up, because I really need to be better at letting God prevail in my life. And I need comfort from the Spirit, to keep on going and serving.
This counsel from President Eyring is bringing a lot of comfort, as well:
The greatest blessing that will come when we prove ourselves faithful to our covenants during our trials will be a change in our natures. By our choosing to keep our covenants, the power of Jesus Christ and the blessings of His Atonement can work in us. Our hearts can be softened to love, to forgive, and to invite others to come unto the Savior. Our confidence in the Lord increases. Our fears decrease.
1 comment:
THis is a good one, Bec. I like what you said and I really like the talk you shared. I'm in the camp of, 'if there's a chance me wearing a mask could keep someone else from getting a deadly disease, then I'm all in for doing that'. But I get it that other people have strong feelings against it for one reason or another. I think this situation requires a little more humility from all of us. I know I've had to check myself when I start to feel negative or contentious feelings. However virtuous my motivations, I know that ill feelings towards other people is not coming from our heavenly father. I hope that we can maintain our perspective and love for one another and not let these issues divide us.
Post a Comment