Before we got married, people were very free with their advice on the institution of wedlock . . . blissful and otherwise. My favorite advice? And the same thing I tell people who are about to get married? "You'll love being married. It's the best."
I'm breaking one of my own blogging rules by writing even this much nonspecific "sap" in a post, but it's true . . . politically correct or not.

This quote is my favorite part of Paradise Lost--it's what Eve says to Adam when they are driven out of Eden. I engraved some of these lines in Allen's original wedding ring (which has been lying at the bottom of the East Carribean since 2002, but it's okay, because I lost a ring he gave to me, too . . . we balance each other out well). I love these lines because I think of leaving Eden as the real beginning of their marriage. Though there were incredibly tough times to come, there was an abundance of love, hope, and leaning on each other. I think this statement of Eve's is perfectly mirrored in Mark Twain's short story "The Diaries of Adam and Eve" with what Adam says at Eve's grave: "Wherever she was, there was Eden."
Isn't literature great? It doesn't hurt our marriage that we both majored in English . . .
.jpg)
To celebrate 10 years, we spent the day together in Jackson Hole and took in an overnight stay at Grand Targhee, the best ski resort in the intermountain west (and the same places we went, ten years and one month ago---the picture above is of wild swans on the Snake River near the aptly named Swan Valley). A bad day at Targhee is like the best day anywhere else. And we had a great day.
So maybe I can't take a jump like Allen can (let alone land a jump like Allen can) . . . but that's one of the great things about being married--we enjoy each other's strengths and talents as much as we do our own. I love seeing Allen catch some sweet air, and he loves that I remembered chapstick and sunblock (this time).

11 comments:
Boogs I suppose I will leave you a comment although you NOOVER leave me any! And every blog needs sap. It isn't a crime to proclaim your love is it? If so...I should get the electric chair! ZZZAAAAAPPP! Seriously boogs...I am loving your sap. And I am jell of your romantic getaway. I NOOVER get to do that! Sniff~ LUCKY!!
Congratulations on 10 years! Yay! That is my kind of anniversary getaway!!
I miss home. Congrats on 10 years together. Doesn't it just keep getting better?
Love the quotes, love the pictures, love the post. Congrats on 10 years!
I think Targhee is the most wonderful place to be...even if it were with someone you loathe. I pain at the sight of that perfect Idaho/Wyoming snow, and I joy at the beauty of your perfect love. YOU GUYS ARE SO LUCKEEEEEY!!!!
Becca--a post worth waiting for! Happy Anniversary!! Thanks for sharing a little Milton--love it!! xo, Linda
Happy Anniversary! And just so you know, Adam is on his third wedding band now and we've only been married five and a half years. No wonder they don't insure men's rings!
I'm late to the posting party, but Becca, I loved this. You know how much I admire the two of you. Wow - that Milton quote brought me to tears. So glad you guys are there for each other on the slopes and in teh books. Can't think of a marriage I am a bigger fan of than yours. :)
Erin, you're so classy.
ten years, already? i think i finally agree to this marriage. okay maybe i never disagreed about your marriage but for sure i hated Allen for stealing you away from me.
Snowboarding! Yet another thing to add to my "Aren't Allen and Becca so Cool?" list. You guys look great out on the slopes together. Congratulations!
Post a Comment