2010-02-02

SIXTH Annual Valen-bot Extravaganza

It all started back in 2005. Allen and I like to give Valentines to each other, elementary-school style. So, we started making Valentine Robots on the first Family Home Evening of February, the better to hold our sundry Valentine cards. The Valen-bots remind us to tell each other we love each other . . . and it's even more fun to do now that our kids are older.

Let's take a photo-robotic trip back in time, shall we?








And now for the moment you've been waiting for since last year's Valen-bot post . . . the unveiling of the Sixth Annual Valen-bot Extravaganza!



My mom was here for a fun (too short) visit, so she got to create one, too. It was fitting that she was involved, because I can attribute most of my desire to create things to my mom, who is incredibly creative and artistic--as you can see from her cool Valen-bot above. Some of my favorite childhood memories are of when my mom piled the kitchen table with scraps of paper, pipe cleaners, glue, scissors, markers, and stuff from around the house. My sisters and I could spend many happy hours coloring and pasting and singing at the table this way--which means that mom and kids alike were happy. And it works for my kids, too! They love doing "craft projects," and this is their most-looked-forward-to FHE of the year. We think it's pretty cool to have our own unique family tradition, besides.

13 comments:

al said...

I noticed you got noticed by people outside our immediate family/cyber-circle on your snowman post. ...Neat. And my dogcatbot is pretty cute, you gotta admit. It was a fun time. I'm glad the kids like to craft so much. Maybe someday they can make a fortune with their own craft-blog. Any suggestions on possible future blog names?
"Truman's Curios" or "Renfroe's Curios" or "A Hodge Podge of Mod Podge" or "Brighams Buttons and Banter". Maybe a cooking blog: "Carnivorous Living" or in Brigham's case "What's For Dinner, I hate That". The possibilities are endless.

Leila said...

Allen, you are so funny. I love your valenbots. Do you have a box of valenbot parts next to your snowman box? :)

Becca said...

As a matter of fact, Leila . . . yes, I do.

Walkers said...

I think I like Allen's best this year- sorry Becca (although yours is really good too.) Happy Valentines Day.

Hanna in the Hizzzouse.. said...

I think that Mom won this year! I can't even tell you how much I want to start this futuristic tradition. I CAN"T GET ENOUGH!!! (and...yes... I AM YELLING!)
Lurve it all Boogs!
I do remember mom putting scraps out for us to have our fun with, and Chandler has a love for it also. Thanks for the inspiration Bec, I think I'll get my scraps out to occupy my chitlins for hours.Teehee!

Jill said...

I think this tradition is awesome. Super creative!

Bon said...

Oh Briglet won in my book! Love those long spaghetti arms! I oooways love this tradition of yours. I wish I kept scraps around my house long enough to make something creative. Maybe I will save a few today! Or better yet clean out my shed, there are bound to be a few nick naks in there!

Anonymous said...

I love this tradition of yours what great memories for your family . B.l.A.R.T and F.I.D.O make me laugh you guys are so cute together!! But I think my favorite is Aunt Pasty’s

Kristine said...

this honestly is my favorite part of reading your blog in Feb.. It makes me want to collect junk and let the kids make cool things.

Melissa Monday said...

You guys have to be the most creative people I know. I wish we lived closer some of your creativity could rub off on me.

Mystial Batwoman said...

Love the valen-bots guys! You never fail to impress or entertain ;) Guess what!!! We're moving to Brigham City in March. We'll be neighbors! Camping trip this summer FOR SURE!

Heather's Blog said...

I love valen-bots! I think my favorite of all time is Allen's 2008. For some reason it looks like allen to me.

Emily said...

can I be you when I grow up?