"The new home-centered, Church-supported integrated curriculum has the potential to unleash the power of families, as each family follows through conscientiously and carefully to transform their home into a sanctuary of faith. I promise that as you diligently work to remodel your home into a center of gospel learning, over time your Sabbath days will truly be a delight. Your children will be excited to learn and to live the Savior’s teachings, and the influence of the adversary in your life and in your home will decrease. Changes in your family will be dramatic and sustaining." -President Russell M. Nelson, "Becoming Exemplary Latter-day Saints," October 2018 closing remarks
These words of President Nelson had a really deep impact on me when I heard them. I knew he did not mean "remodel" in only one way, but I felt impressed that we needed to make our living room a beautiful space. I was literally thinking of the temple and how it is not just a spiritually uplifting atmosphere--it is also a physically beautiful space.
This thought persisted, and those two phrases "transform your home into a sanctuary of faith" and "remodel your home into a center of gospel learning" kept playing in my mind for months. I talked about it a lot with Allen and
we decided to save up to "remodel" our main living area, about a year after this talk was given in November of 2019.
We replaced our broken front door, installed new flooring (with generous help and instruction from our brother Rich!), and purchased a pretty, white shelving unit that fit perfectly, making better use of our small space.
 |
| Look how small that room is! |
 |
We could never have done it without Rich--he came for three days and taught Allen how to install flooring. It was so kind!
|
Fast forward four months from when our "remodel" was complete.
We were sitting in our "new," peaceful living room, as Truman and Brigham blessed and passed the sacrament, during the beginning days of the COVID-19 pandemic.
I felt an overpowering, confirming witness that our Father in Heaven had guided us to "remodel" our home--and that physical, temporal spaces and spiritual, holy spaces can actually be one and the same. We did not go into debt for this remodel, and we took our time and performed the labor ourselves--to transform our living room into a living ordinance room . . . without ever guessing that we would be partaking of the sacrament and renewing covenants for many months in that very space.
 |
We bought this end table at a thrift store and Allen sanded and repainted it. It ended up becoming our sacrament table. |
 |
| Allen preparing the sacrament. Truman is 18 and Brigham 15 |
Our Father in Heaven speaks to us so subtly, so personally. I am grateful that I allowed the words of the prophet to pierce my understanding and sink into my heart, leading to a course of action that I never would have thought could even come from heaven.
Remember when Oliver Cowdery said "Here were days never to be forgotten" about those early days of translating the Book of Mormon? That's how I feel about those sacred Sundays during the pandemic--they were "truly a delight" as President Nelson promised. As awful and scary and serious and unsettling as that time was--
we felt peace each week as we worshipped together at home, and not
only on Sundays.
Reflecting on this experience fills my heart with such gratitude! It also reminds me, five years later, that I need to care for my physical space and clear out clutter, because "all things unto [God] are spiritual" (
Doctrine & Covenants 29:34).
I am so grateful for prophets on the earth. Listening to their words, with my ears and with my spirit and with my heart, continues to bless my life and help me to feel peace, even in the middle of such a tumultuous world.
 |
January 2020 New floors, rugs, shelving, and TV. Couch, chairs, basket, lamp, tables and curtains from the thrift store |
 |
| February 8th, 2025 |
No comments:
Post a Comment