2015-01-30

Connected, But Alone?

One of the best TED talks I have watched in a while.  Learning about how media affects relationships with others and with ourselves is one of my favorite subjects.  This TED talk was given in 2012, and came three years after Elder Bednar raised similar concerns about the potential harmful effects of media in his landmark address, "Things As They Really Are."

I am certainly not a Luddite, but I strongly believe it is important to use any new technology, software, website, app, device, or so-called "social" media with great care and constantly updated self-awareness.  Self awareness version 8.2 . . .

Sherry Turkle does an excellent job of boiling the subject down in 19 minutes.  I think this is a terribly important clip to watch . . . definitely one I want to share with my kids and the youth in my ward.



No comments: