2014-03-18

March Madness (March RADNESS)

Every year, the outstanding seminary teacher in Soda Springs challenges all the seminary students to read the entire Book of Mormon in the month of March.  This year the seminary extended this invitation to all the young men and young women leaders as well, so Allen and I are both taking the "March Madness" challenge.




The Book of Mormon is a volume of holy scripture, similar to the Bible, and is a historical account of the ancient inhabitants of the Americas.  Most importantly, it is another testament of Jesus Christ, and recounts His visit to the people of America after His resurrection.  It is a witness that God loves all people in all ages of history, and that He communicates with both individuals and nations who desire to know Him.  You can request a FREE copy here.

I love the Book of Mormon.  I grew up reading it every day with my family in the early morning before school and work.  I first read it by myself when I was a fifteen-year-old seminary student.  I still read it every year, a few pages or chapters at a time.  Two years ago, I started reviewing the Book of Mormon each time I finished it, along with my other book reviews in Bex Boox {see 2012 #9, and 2013 #10, and now 2014 #12).

When the March Madness challenge was issued, I still had fifty pages to go in my personal study, so I set aside some extra scripture time and finished early in the morning of March 1st.  Then, As I read the first twenty pages again in the evening of March 1st, I felt strongly that I should keep a March Madness "journal," and choose one passage from each day's reading that stands out to me.


March 30th:  Moroni 10: 22 "And if ye have no hope ye must needs be in despair; and despair cometh because of iniquity."

This may seem like a strange verse to conclude my "March Madness" experiment, but it is what stood out to me today.
from Pinterest

I couldn't help but think of Marilla Cuthbert from Anne of Green Gables when she tells Anne "To despair is to turn your back on God." 

The great hope of the world is Jesus Christ (see Jeremiah 17:13-14).  Not only is He the literal Savior of the world and its inhabitants, He is also the source of hope--"which hope maketh an anchor to the souls of men" (Ether 12:4).

I personally hope that anyone who reads this will feel my sincerity when I write that the Book of Mormon will lead you to hope in the promises of Jesus Christ.  That hope comes from faith, and will lead to belief.  That belief will be strengthened by continuous confirmations in the form of thoughts in the mind and feelings in the heart, until it becomes a sure knowledge.

This is my twenty-second time to read the Book of Mormon from beginning to end.  And I'm going to start again tomorrow!  Because "the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man [or woman or boy or girl] will get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” (Joseph Smith, Book of Mormon Introduction, paragraph 6).

I have felt (and still feel and will feel) that closeness with my Savior and with my Father in Heaven as I have read The Book of Mormon.  It is more than a true historical account--it's a true witness that
our Savior stands ready to receive any who come unto Him. 
Behold, I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.  Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved. (3 Nephi 9:21-22)

March 29th: Ether 12: 41 "And now, I would commend you to seek this Jesus of whom the prophets and apostles have written, that the grace of God the Father, and also the Lord Jesus Christ, and the Holy Ghost, which beareth record of them, may be and abide in you forever. Amen."

Found from image search of "faith and grace"
This is the concluding verse of one of Moroni's great asides--spoken in a beautiful chapter that is really a treatise on faith in Jesus Christ.  From the LDS Bible Dictionary, we learn that
Faith . . . must be centered in Jesus Christ in order to produce salvation.  Faith in Jesus Christ is the first principle of the gospel and is more than belief, since true faith always moves its possessor to some kind of physical and mental action; it carries an assurance of the fulfillment of the things hoped for. 
Again, I always love the concept of "grace" and the word is used so many times in the Book of Mormon (see March 4th entry below).  Moroni tells us how we can have this grace abide in us--it is by seeking "this Jesus Christ."

The life of Christ is outlined by many witnesses in the new Testament.  It is the perfect place to find out who He was, how He lived, where and how He taught.  And the Book of Mormon is the best place to not only find out who Christ is, but to also grow closer to Him, and to feel His love for all His children (see March 9th entry below).

March 28th: Ether 10:2 "And it came to pass that Shez did remember the destruction of his fathers, and he did build up a righteous kingdom; for he remembered what the Lord had done in bringing Jared and his brother across the deep; and he did walk in the ways of the Lord . . ."

I have noticed several times during this speedy reading of the Book of Mormon that prophets are constantly admonishing the people to remember how the Lord helped their ancestors, and delivered them out of bondage.
  • Nephi told his brothers Laman and Lemuel to remember Moses and the children of Israel:
    • 1 Nephi 17:23-32 "And it came to pass that according to his word he did destroy them; and according to his word he did lead them; and according to his word he did do all things for them; and there was not any thing done save it were by his word." (verse 31) 
  • Alma the younger pled with the people in Zarahemla to remember the captivity of their fathers:
    • Alma 5:6 "And now behold, I say unto you, my brethren, you that belong to this church, have you sufficiently retained in remembrance the captivity of your fathers? Yea, and have you sufficiently retained in remembrance his mercy and long-suffering towards them? And moreover, have ye sufficiently retained in remembrance that he has delivered their souls from hell?
  • Moroni exhorted the government to remember all the things the Lord had done for the Nephites in the past:
    • Alma 60:20 "Have ye forgotten the commandments of the Lord your God? Yea, have ye forgotten the captivity of our fathers? Have ye forgotten the many times we have been delivered out of the hands of our enemies?"
  • Helaman wanted his sons to remember Nephi and Lehi and their good example of hearkening to their Father in Heaven:
    • Helaman 5:6 "Behold, my sons, I desire that ye should remember to keep the commandments of God; and I would that ye should declare unto the people these words. Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good."
This repeated message helps me to remember all the times in my past that the Lord has helped me, or times in the lives of my parents and grandparents that He has helped them.  Remembering God's past, present, and future help can be a true source of strength during times when that divine assistance seems distant or even gone.  It is a reminder that the Lord is always near.

March 27th: two today, that complement one another:
  • Mormon 9:25 "And whosoever shall believe in my name, doubting nothing, unto him will I confirm all my words, even unto the ends of the earth."
  • Ether 4:11 "But he that believeth these things which I have spoken, him will I visit with the manifestations of my Spirit, and he shall know and bear record. For because of my Spirit he shall know that these things are true; for it persuadeth men to do good."
These are both verses about gaining a testimony of the Book of Mormon (or of any scripture--including modern revelation delivered every general conference).  Belief is the first step--even if it's only a "desire to believe" that Alma spoke about (see Alma 32:27).


Found on Pinterest
I love the phrase "I will confirm all my words."  Because this is a promise made by Jesus Christ, it is one I can trust in.  It's hard sometimes, to push away doubts, or to wait on the Lord's timing.  Faith is absolutely a prerequisite, but here and elsewhere, the Lord promises that this faith will surely grow into knowledge, aided by the Holy Ghost.

I also love the logic in these verses.  If The Book of Mormon testifies of Christ and persuades men to do good, how can it come from any other source but the Spirit of truth--which is Jesus Christ's Spirit? (see Doctrine and Covenants 50:17-25).  I am always dumbfounded by the claim that Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon.  Partly because, if any single person in the world could have written a book like this, (let alone an uneducated farm boy from New York in the early 1800s) why don't we laud them for their complete literary genius?

I cannot read this book without that confirming witness by the Spirit coming every time.  It is true.  It is another testament of Jesus Christ.  And reading it again this month has helped me to have the Spirit with me more strongly and constantly--a blessing I have surely needed, and will continue to need!

____________________________



March 26th: Variations on a theme during the destruction of the Nephites:
  • 4 Nephi 1:38 " . . . they did not dwindle in unbelief, but they did wilfully rebel against the gospel of Christ; and they did teach their children that they should not believe
  • Mormon 2:13 " . . . their sorrowing was not unto repentance, because of the goodness of God; but it was rather the sorrowing of the damned, because the Lord would not always suffer them to take happiness in sin."
  • Mormon 2:26 " . . . the strength of the Lord was not with us; yea, we were left to ourselves, that the Spirit of the Lord did not abide in us; therefore we had become weak like unto our brethren."
  • Mormon 3:9 "And now, because of this great thing which my people, the Nephites, had done, they began to boast in their own strength, and began to swear before the heavens that they would avenge themselves of the blood of their brethren who had been slain by their enemies."
  • Mormon 4:8 " . . . And when the Nephites saw that they had driven the Lamanites they did again boast of their own strength; and they went forth in their own might . . ."
  • Mormon 5:2 " . . . they repented not of their iniquities, but did struggle for their lives without calling upon that Being who created them."
  • Mormon 5: 16-18 "For behold, the Spirit of the Lord hath already ceased to strive with their fathers; and they are without Christ and God in the world; and they are driven about as chaff before the wind.
     17 They were once a delightsome people, and they had Christ for their shepherd; yea, they were led even by God the Father.
     18 But now, behold, they are led about by Satan, even as chaff is driven before the wind, or as a vessel is tossed about upon the waves, without sail or anchor, or without anything wherewith to steer her; and even as she is, so are they.
It's always tough to go from the wonderful account of the Savior's visit to the Nephites and Lamanites in 3 Nephi on to their self-destruction, three hundred years later, in 4 Nephi and Mormon.
The message in these verses is pretty clear--the Nephites forgot from whom their blessings came.  And they refused to acknowledge God's hand in their lives.  These kinds of verses always remind me of a beginning scene in the movie Shenandoah:



Charlie Anderson (played by Jimmy Stewart) was at least still "praying" . . . but crediting all of his blessings to his own work and effort, and not to his Father in Heaven.  It's the same slippery slope that the Nephites were tumbling down--they wilfully rebelled against God because they thought they were strong enough to make it without Him.

There is one scripture in the section I read today that is so poignant.
" . . . this people had not repented that they might have been clasped in the arms of Jesus" (Mormon 5:11).

Mormon knew what is still true today--that repentance is always available.  I love the idea of repentance being "clasped in the arms of Jesus!"  What could be more comforting and peace-filled? 

March 25th: 3 Nephi 18:25 "And ye see that I have commanded that none of you should go away, but rather have commanded that ye should come unto me, that ye might feel and see; even so shall ye do unto the world; and whosoever breaketh this commandment suffereth himself to be led into temptation."

This scripture is kind of hard for me to understand, but I feel like I got it this morning.  The commandment that Jesus is warning against breaking is the commandment to invite others to come unto Christ, and to deny no one.  The three verses before this one are all about accepting and inviting others to come unto Christ--and Christ admonishes members of His church to "not forbid any man from coming" (verse 22), to "pray for them" (verse 23), and for members to hold up their light, which is the example of Jesus Christ, "that it may shine unto the world" (verse 24). 

When I break the commandment to invite others, the temptation that I suffer myself to be led into is that I momentarily forget how the Lord has healed and helped me.  I may judge others for their weaknesses or think that they would not be interested in what the gospel of Jesus Christ has to offer.  But all I really have to do, as our good stake president is so fond of repeating, is to invite.  I do not have to plead or force or make compelling arguments--I just need to invite.

Sometimes I think of inviting others to come unto Christ as something I must formally do, to someone outside my immediate circle of family and friends.  But as I have been thinking about this verse this morning, and how applies to me right now, I realize that it is just as important for me to invite my children to come unto Christ by how I reverence Him, in how I speak to and treat them, in the ways I testify of gospel truths, in how I accept calls to serve. 

I can invite my husband, my neighbors, or even acquaintances to come unto Christ when I am slow to blame and quick to forgive, when troubles arise.  It's easy to type and hard to do.  But hasn't the Lord forgiven me?  Haven't I made mistakes repeatedly?  Shouldn't I show that same willingness to forgive and to believe others when they apologize?  The parable of the unforgiving debtor (see Matthew 18:21-35) is played out so many times in my own life.  Really, how can I dare to withhold forgiveness, when I know that my Father in Heaven stands ready to forgive every time I return to Him?

The parable of the lost sheep (see Luke 15:3-7) is one I think is often misunderstood, because there is no such thing as ninety-nine-perfect-sheep-who-never-stray-and-one-who-always-does.  No one is perfect.  No one in the Church is without flaws and weaknesses.  Even those who sincerely and consistently try to follow Jesus Christ are not without sin.  But I don't think these are reasons for feeling discouraged--rather, they're reasons for both relying on our Savior as constantly as we can, and for serving and helping our brothers and sisters, for "All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all." (Isaiah 53:6).

The Book of Mormon testifies repeatedly that the Gospel of Jesus Christ is for anyone and everyone.  It is not just something that exists for missionaries to preach about--it is something that will help and bless us every day.  Reading the scriptures is the best way to help that gospel to become "written in our hearts" (2 Nephi 8:7) and make a difference even from hour to hour.

Picture from The Burlap Bungalow on Etsy

I personally know, from my own experience, that Jesus Christ and His gospel bring the peace and comfort that can come from no other source.  He truly is the way, the truth, and the life (John 14:6).

March 24th: 3 Nephi 9: 13-14 " . . . will ye not now return unto me, and repent of your sins, and be converted, that I may heal you?  14 Yea, verily I say unto you, if ye will come unto me ye shall have eternal life. Behold, mine arm of mercy is extended towards you, and whosoever will come, him will I receive; and blessed are those who come unto me."

I love everything about this passage--the complete expression of love and concern, the focus on mercy (scroll down to the March 11th passage), the beautiful promise of healing, and the repeated phrase "come unto me."  This is what reading, studying, and pondering about the scriptures is all about--it's about drawing nearer to our Savior, Jesus Christ.



Both Allen and I are very involved in the Young Men and Young Women programs right now, and the mutual theme for the two organizations this year is "Come Unto Christ," so this verse struck such a lovely chord when I read it this morning.  I am in the very best section of this book of scripture--when the resurrected Savior appears to the Nephites and Lamanites, and teaches them about who He is, and who they are.  I love it.  And it really happened.
 

   
March 23rd: 3 Nephi 3:12 "Now behold, this Lachoneus, the governor, was a just man, and could not be frightened by the demands and the threatenings of a robber; therefore he did not hearken to the epistle of Giddianhi, the governor of the robbers, but he did cause that his people should cry unto the Lord for strength against the time that the robbers should come down against them."

Maybe I just think the phrase "governor of the robbers" is funny . . .

I love the two-chapter story (3 Nephi 3&4) of Lachoneus and the siege at Zarahemla.  It's an exciting, action-packed account (just like Alma 58 from March 19th), with outstanding, brave, good guys and really cunning, bold, bad guys.  EPIC BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL . . . just sayin'.

This verse stood out to me today because Lachoneus recognized who and what wicked men are--they're just robbers.  Just plain old thieves.  Even the "governor of the robbers" is still just someone who takes what he wants, like a toddler who hasn't learned to master himself.  More like "governor of the toddlers"--haha!  It reminds me of what Isaiah says people will say about Lucifer "They that see thee shall narrowly look upon thee, and shall consider thee, and shall say: Is this the man that made the earth to tremble, that did shake kingdoms?" (2 Nephi 24:16)  {***sidenote: (see an awesome sketch of Gidiannhi at bookofmormonbattles.com--we have this LDS card game and artist James H. Fullmer has done a great job drawing the villains and heroes of the Book of Mormon***}.

I love it that Lachoneus could not be frightened by Gidiannhi's threatenings and demands, and the verse tells us why--because he cried unto the Lord for strength.  And the captain of the Nephite army, Gidgiddoni, taught the people to do the same, because he was also "a great prophet among them" (3:19).

I can almost see Lachoneus and Gidgiddoni inspiring the Nephites when they saw the "great and terrible appearance" of the armies of Gidiannhi, who were dyed in blood (3 Nephi 4:7).  It's like that moving scene in every movie, right before a battle when the general or captain or totally awesome warrior speaks with a loud voice in front of all his men, bracing them for and motivating them about their cause.  And I wouldn't be surprised if Lachoneus' speech had similar themes to one of my favorite (and most well-known) Joseph Smith quotes:

"The Standard of Truth has been erected. No unhallowed hand can stop the work from progressing. Persecutions may rage, mobs may combine, armies may assemble, calumny may defame. But the truth of God will go forth boldly, nobly, and imdependent till it has penetrated every continent, visited every clime, swept every country, and sounded in every ear, until the purposes of God shall be accomplished and the Great Jehovah will say, ‘The work is done.'" (Joseph Smith, History of the Church, 4:540)
Those Nephites who followed Lachoneus and Gidgiddoni were protected and blessed, because they did not fear the threatening of a robber, "the Nephites did not fear them; but they did fear their God and did supplicate him for protection; therefore, when the armies of Giddianhi did rush upon them they were prepared to meet them; yea, in the strength of the Lord they did receive them" (3 Nephi 4:10).

These verses are about more than "not being afraid"--because although I have spoken lightly about the "governor of the robbers," there's no doubt he was a truly wicked and scary guy.  It's more about knowing who to depend on--who to turn to for help in overcoming "fear of what man can do" (see Moroni 8:16), and coming to know that God can actually be personally "with you in every time of trouble" (Doctrine and Covenants 3:8).

I found this on Pinterest, but it doesn't link to a website--
somebody sure did an awesome job making it, though.

It just needs the "h" on the end of "Jehovah." :)

 
 

   March 22nd: Helaman chapter 13: the word "heart" from Samuel-the-Lamanite's sermon:
  • verse 3: " . . . prophesy unto the people whatsoever things should come into his heart."
  • verse 4: " . . . [Samuel] went and got upon the wall thereof, and stretched forth his hand and cried with a loud voice, and prophesied unto the people whatsoever things the Lord put into his heart."
  • verse 5: "Behold, I, Samuel, a Lamanite, do speak the words of the Lord which he doth put into my heart; and behold he hath put it into my heart to say unto this people that the sword of justice hangeth over this people."
  • verse 8: "Because of the hardness of the hearts of the people of the Nephites, except they repent I will take away my word from them, and I will withdraw my Spirit from them, and I will suffer them no longer, and I will turn the hearts of their brethren against them."
  • verse 12: " . . . there are many, yea, even the more part of this great city, that will harden their hearts against me, saith the Lord."
  • verse 20: "And the day shall come that they shall hide up their treasures, because they have set their hearts upon riches; and because they have set their hearts upon their riches . . . cursed be they and also their treasures; and in that day shall they be smitten, saith the Lord."
  • verse 21: " . . . your riches cursed because ye have set your hearts upon them"
  • verse 22: " . . . your hearts are not drawn out unto the Lord, but they do swell with great pride . . ."
  • verse 27: " . . . Walk after the pride of your own hearts; yea, walk after the pride of your eyes, and do whatsoever your heart desireth—and if a man shall come among you and say this, ye will receive him, and say that he is a prophet."
This is one of my favorite ways to study any chapter or section of scripture--to really zero in on one word or phrase and try to understand why that word or phrase is used the way it is.

The first three bullets above contain the phrase "into his heart," describing the way Heavenly Father gave Samuel the words to say.  Why didn't Samuel say "into my mind"?  Because the Lord speaks to our minds and hearts through the Holy Ghost!  "Yea, behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart" (Doctrine and Covenants 8:2).  One way for me to tell if thoughts in my mind come from my Father in Heaven is if they are verified by supporting feelings in my heart.  It's hard to describe--but I have experienced it countless times.  Basically, it means trusting my thoughts and my feelings, then acting in faith on direction received.

When I did an image search for "heart and mind,"
this was the first (and most perfect) image that
came up.  It's from an artist's website, cdryan.com
I also like the idea of words coming "into" my heart--as if they become a part of me.  Abinadi told King Noah and his wicked priests that because they hadn't studied the commandments, the words of God were not "written in their hearts," (Mosiah 13:11).  I think that reading and re-reading the Book of Mormon is the best possible way to gain a testimony of Jesus Christ and a desire to follow Him "written" in my heart.  It may be a lifelong process, but I can see slow and steady progress when I am studying and pondering consistently.

A lot of the verses in this chapter contain the phrase "hardness of heart,"--a totally common phrase throughout the Book of Mormon.  It's a great way to describe what happens when we resist the Holy Ghost--we don't allow ourselves to feel that supporting witness.  We sort of "steel ourselves" against the soft and steady promptings of the Spirit. 

"Hearts set upon riches" is another phrase used many times.  I actually like the description of a heart being "set upon" something, or "desiring" (like verse 27) something strongly.  Our hearts can direct our actions as much as (if not more than) our minds can!  We can choose what to set our hearts upon--if we allow them to swell with pride (verse 22), they will develop that crusty layer that "hardens" them from feeling the Holy Ghost.  Our hearts can be "turned" (like verse 8) toward or against our Father in Heaven, depending on what we have set them upon.

For me today, maybe the best of all of these phrases is "your hearts are not drawn out unto the Lord."  I certainly can't say that my heart is always "drawn out unto the Lord"--so Samuel is preaching to me as much as to the hardened Nephites in Zarahemla.  But I want to draw my heart out to Him.  I want to let His words into my heart.  I hope that when I go through hard times, I will work to keep my heart soft (like the people in the scripture from March 20th) instead of allowing it to harden.

The whole time I was reading this, I kept thinking of a devotional that Elder Bednar delivered when he was president of Ricks College (and it still was Ricks in this case).  I remembered him talking in depth about how softening our hearts leads to true wisdom and understanding, but couldn't remember the title.  It only took a little digging for me to find it:  "Understanding is a Wellspring of Life." (David A. Bednar, Ricks College Devotional, June 1999).  The talk in its entirety is outstanding, but here is one perfect snippet to end today's focus on "hearts":

"As described in the scriptures, we use our hearts and the process of revelation to obtain a confirming spiritual witness concerning the truth of what we have come to know. In and through our hearts the Holy Ghost certifies more completely and helps us to feel deeply the truth of what we have come to know intellectually. Understanding grows out of knowledge that is certified as true by the Holy Ghost and produces an illumination, a comprehension, a perspective, and a depth of desire and commitment not obtainable through reason alone. As President Harold B. Lee frequently taught, "When your heart begins to tell you things that your mind does not know, then you are getting the spirit of the Lord."

***Sidenote: I love the BYU-I and BYU speeches websites!  You can listen to or watch or read any of the amazing devotionals that have been given from last week to decades ago!  Elder Bednar's have been longtime favorites and I have loved having his devotionals and education week speeches on my iPod.  You can search by speaker, topic, or year given and access dozens of excellent gospel discourses for those long trips over the prairie to stock up on supplies :).  A recent favorite from the BYU devotionals is called "The Human Body: A Gift and a Responsibility" by Larry A Tucker--I was looking for something to motivate me to incorporate more healthy habits and this devotional was exactly what I needed!  It was so good that I have listened to it twice and read it twice, and have been sharing it with everyone in my family, because it. is. awesome.  Okay, sidenote over.***

March 21st: I missed reading in the Book of Mormon today!  I read a bunch of articles from the April church magazines that came in the mail (the April New Era is especially good--it's a feature issue that emphasizes men and women understanding the priesthood) but missed the good ol' BoM.  Back tomorrow!   
 


March 20th: Alma 62:41 "But behold, because of the exceedingly great length of the war between the Nephites and the Lamanites many had become hardened, because of the exceedingly great length of the war; and many were softened because of their afflictions, insomuch that they did humble themselves before God, even in the depth of humility."

I first noticed this verse because of the repetition of the phrase "because of the exceedingly great length of the war," and I wondered why it was repeated--it seemed a bit redundant.  Then I realized it was to show the difference in the way people reacted to the same thing.  All of the Nephites have been through years and years of horrendous war, but some chose to be hardened, and some chose to be softened. 

I love what this verse teaches about humility.  I used to think of humility as something that I must do in order to receive blessings--once I humble myself, then the blessings can come.  But this verse helped me to realize that humility itself is the greatest blessing!  When I am humble and my heart is softened--that's when I am the closest to my Father in Heaven and my Savior that I can possibly be.  What blessing could be greater than having the constant, uninterrupted companionship of the Holy Ghost?

I have this verse cross-referenced to a great one, found in 3 Nephi 6:13:
Some were lifted up in pride, and others were exceedingly humble; some did return railing for railing, while others would receive railing and persecution and all manner of afflictions, and would not turn and revile again, but were humble and penitent before God.
These penitent Nephites weren't humble so they could qualify for blessings--being humble and meek is precisely what gave them the peace and strength to withstand persecution and trial.  And they were continually blessed and strengthened by the Holy Spirit, because it was always with them. (See "That We May Always Have His Sprit to be With Us," by Elder David A. Bednar, April 2006).



March 19th:  Alma 58.  (The entire chapter, but especially verses 11 and 40)

This is one of my favorite stories in the Book of Mormon.  I always look forward to getting to this chapter!  Here is the short and sweet version:

The Lamanite army is receiving food and supplies every day in the captured Nephite city of Manti, while the Nephite army has not received anything from the government in Zarahemla in a long time.  They are getting really worried, hungry, and afraid.  The Nephites pray and pray--they "pour out their souls" (verse 10) and they receive an answer:

Yea, and it came to pass that the Lord our God did visit us with assurances that he would deliver us; yea, insomuch that he did speak peace to our souls, and did grant unto us great faith, and did cause us that we should hope for our deliverance in him. (Alma 58:11)
With the peace that comes from strengthened faith and hope, the Nephites come up with a plan to trick the Lamanites.  Gid and Teomner each hide in the wilderness with a bunch of men, and when the Lamanites see Helaman with his reduced forces, they come out of Manti to engage in a battle.  Helaman and his 2060 young warriors flee, and the Lamanites pursue.  Then Gid and Teomner come out of the wilderness with their men and reclaim the city of Manti.

The Lamanites stop following Helaman when they get closer to Nephite territory, and they camp for the night, not knowing Manti has been taken.  Helaman and his band don't sleep--they march all night long to get back to Manti, and the whole city is taken "without the shedding of blood" (verse 28).  When the Lamanites see this, they turn tail and run.

It's a totally exciting story, but there's also a great depth of meaning in the forty-one verses of this chapter.

First, both armies experience a strengthening "from day to day," but in two totally different ways.  The actual phrase "from day to day" is used at the beginning and the end of the chapter.

  • "the Lamanites were also receiving great strength from day to day, and also many provisions;" (verse 5)
  • "But behold, [the stripling warriors] have received many wounds; nevertheless they stand fast in that liberty wherewith God has made them free; and they are strict to remember the Lord their God from day to day; yea, they do observe to keep his statutes, and his judgments, and his commandments continually; and their faith is strong in the prophecies concerning that which is to come." (verse 40)   
Second, both armies experience serious fear in this chapter, but their response to their fears is also totally different:
  • "And it came to pass that when the armies of the Lamanites did arrive near the city, and saw that we were prepared to meet them, they were astonished exceedingly and struck with great fear, insomuch that they did flee into the wilderness." (verse 29)
  • "And now the cause of these our embarrassments, or the cause why [the Nephite government] did not send more strength unto us, we knew not; therefore we were grieved and also filled with fear, lest by any means the judgments of God should come upon our land, to our overthrow and utter destruction . . . Therefore we did pour out our souls in prayer to God, that he would strengthen us and deliver us out of the hands of our enemies . . . " (verses 9&10)
The Lamanites only knew how to rely on their own strength.  And they were strong--they had more men, more provisions, and a fortified city.  But when fear came upon them, they had nothing but their own strength to rely on.  Their fear caused them to flee.  {Fear-->Flee-->Fall}
The Nephites, however, (including the stripling warriors, who were Lamanites by birth), relied on God for their strength.  They were in a truly weakened condition--physically and mentally.  They were "about to perish for the want of food" (verse 7), and they were "grieved and also filled with fear" (verse 9).  But they turned to their Father in Heaven, and God answered their prayers--not in the form of men, weapons, or food--in the form of peace to their souls, great faith, and hope for deliverance.  Their fear prompted them to exercise faith!  {Fear-->Faith-->Firmness}
I have verse 40 cross-referenced to one of my favorite passages from the New Testament.  2 Timothy 1:7 is quoted often, but I think it has a lot more meaning if it's read with the preceding verse as well:

6 Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands.
7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2 Timothy 1:6-7)
I left the cross reference link to "stir up"--it's from a Greek word that means to "rekindle or revive."  And "rekindling" the Holy Ghost is the key to overcoming our fears.  I love the image of "stirring up" hot coals in a fire that has burned down--when you rekindle and revive those coals, they light right back up!




The stripling warriors knew how to "stir up the gift of God"--because they were strict to remember Jesus Christ from day to day!  It's those daily habits that help me to "always remember Him"--daily prayer, daily scripture study, daily thanks for blessings given.  Taking these small but significant steps is just like stirring up the coals of a fire from the night before, and rekindling a new fire for the needs of the day.

I love adventure stories.  Still.  Even though I am a thirty-something-year-old Mommy who loves to read everything, I always tell people that books for 12-year-old boys are kind of my default genre (think Hatchet, Lost in the Barrens, and Swiss Family Robinson).  I think that's why I was initially drawn to this particular account.  And although this chapter of the Book of Mormon has heroes, hidden spies, strategies, and strongholds--it blows Treasure Island out of the water!  Not just because it actually happened, but because it is a true witness that God will always support those who put their trust in Him, whatever the odds.
 


March 18th:  Alma 50:11-12 "11. And thus he cut off all the strongholds of the Lamanites in the east wilderness, yea, and also on the west, fortifying the line between the Nephites and the Lamanites . . . 12. Thus Moroni, with his armies, which did increase daily because of the assurance of protection which his works did bring forth unto them, did seek to cut off the strength and the power of the Lamanites from off the lands of their possessions, that they should have no power upon the lands of their possession."

I am deep into the war chapters of Alma, which I have always loved.  Could there be any heroes more cool than Moroni or Teancum?  Seriously. 

These verses are like many other verses in the war chapters, because they can be likened to any individual's "war" with sin or vice or temptation.  We can fortify the areas where we are weak!  We can have assurance of protection from works that remove us from old habits, or strengthen us to face temptation.

I especially like the words "cut off," because they remind me of one of my favorite (hilarious and inspiring) stories I read in The Ensign when Elder Henry B. Eyring was called to the First Presidency:

Henry J., [President Eyring's] oldest son, recalls an experience that made a significant difference in the spirit of the Eyring home.
    “My brother and I were in front of the TV one Saturday night around midnight,” says Henry J. “A tawdry comedy show that we shouldn’t have been watching was on. The basement room was dark except for the light from the television. Without warning, Mother walked in. She was wearing a white, flowing nightgown and carrying a pair of shears. Making no sound, she reached behind the set, grabbed the cord, and gathered it into a loop. She then inserted the shears and cut the cord with a single stroke. Sparks flew and the set went dead, but not before Mother had turned and glided out of the room.”
    Unnerved, Henry J. headed to bed. His innovative brother, however, cut a cord from a broken vacuum and connected it to the television. Soon the boys had plopped back down in front of the television, hardly missing any of their show.
    “Mother, however, got the last laugh,” Henry J. says. “When we came home from school the next Monday, we found the television set in the middle of the floor with a huge crack through the thick glass screen. We immediately suspected Mother. When confronted, she responded with a perfectly straight face: ‘I was dusting under the TV, and it slipped.’ ”
    President Eyring honored his wife’s wishes, the children honored their mother’s desires, and that was the end of television in the Eyring home. “For the most part, Mother leads through quiet example,” Henry J. observes. “However, she is also inspired and fearless. Mother’s assertiveness has been a great blessing to her children and grandchildren. Both in pivotal moments and in daily routines, she has forever changed the course of our lives.” (From "President Henry B. Eyring: Called of God," by Robert D. Hales.  Ensign, July 2008.  Emphasis and highlights added by Becca).  



Does any mother not love this story?!  I love it that her children call their mother, Kathleen Eyring, "inspired and fearless"!  Wow.   As Julie B. Beck says, "That is influence.  That is power." 

When I read the war chapters in the Book of Mormon, I invariably think of how I can strengthen and fortify my own home.  I many not go to the extreme of physically "cutting" the television or computer cord (especially not with all our wireless technology!), but I recognize and prepare for and actively fight against any enemies who may seek to gain entrance into my home through these areas.  I try to "cut off the strength and power" of the adversary. 

My children do not need to see what "everyone" is watching.  Allen and I do not need to stay current with what is "popular."  More than that, we try to seek after entertainment and educational programs and music that is "virtuous, lovely, of good report, or praiseworthy" (see Article of Faith, #13).  There are many great programs, websites, music, and other media that meet this criteria.

We are so far from perfect.  It's hard to keep harmful worldly influence out of the home, but it is not impossible.  Moroni prepared the Nephite cities in ways that had never been seen before (Alma 49:8), and when times were peaceful, he did not stop preparing for war (Alma 50:1).  He was creative and inspired and humble and bold--qualities that made him an outstanding leader.  And these amazing leadership qualities are ones that are no less needed by parents to help safeguard their children, marriages, and homes.   It may be very difficult, but it is not impossible--especially when we seek the help of our Father in Heaven, the way Moroni did at every step. 


March 17th: Alma 42:15 "And now, the plan of mercy could not be brought about except an atonement should be made; therefore God himself atoneth for the sins of the world, to bring about the plan of mercy, to appease the demands of justice, that God might be a perfect, just God, and a merciful God also."

I started on March 11th to highlight the word "mercy" every time I read it in the Book of Mormon, and Alma chapter 42 is a great treatise on how justice and mercy work together in God's great plan for his children.  That plan (which entails the creation, the fall of man, the Atonement of Jesus Christ, and the return of God's children to their Father) is often referred to by Mormons as "The Plan of Salvation."  It is also known as "The Plan of Redemption," and "The Plan of Happiness." 

But I love love love that Alma calls it "the plan of mercy."  It is another over-arching message in The Book of Mormon--that God is merciful.  He wants to forgive, and He always forgives those who seek Him through repentance.

I have to invoke the inspired words of Eliza R. Snow again, from her beautiful hymn, "How Great the Wisdom and the Love":

How great, how glorious, how complete,
Redemption's grand design,
Where justice, love, and mercy meet
In harmony divine!

March 16th:  Alma 30:13 "O ye that are bound down under a foolish and a vain hope, why do ye yoke yourselves with such foolish things? Why do ye look for a Christ? For no man can know of anything which is to come."

These are the words of Korihor, the antichrist, who preached to the Nephites that every man fares in life according to the "management of the creature," and that men and women prosper from their genius and strength and that there is no sin (verse 17).  It is the same condescending argument that is being repeated now, about 2100 years later.  {Incidentally, my amazing professor of ancient scripture at BYU, Camille Fronk, delivered one of my most favorite devotionals ever entitled "In the World Ye Shall Have Tribulations: But Be of Good Cheer," in which she, like Alma, completely refutes Korihor's taunting questions.  I highly recommend downloading the audio and listening to this inspiring speech!}

Alma does an excellent job of responding and confounding Korihor in the same chapter (verses 32-55), but I think that a perfect, succinct response to Korihor's ridicule comes three chapters (and several months) later, in Alma 33:14, when Alma asks the Zoramites, "Now behold, my brethren, I would ask if ye have read the scriptures? If ye have, how can ye disbelieve on the Son of God?"



And that's why there is such a thing as "March Madness"--because the seminary teacher in Soda Springs, Idaho, knows what so many other good people know . . . that the scriptures testify of Christ, and bring those who read closer to Him and a sure testimony of His divinity!

March 15th: Beware the ides of March!  I did not read today!  Most likely because I stayed up until 3 AM talking with my fabulous sister Bonnie the night before???  Time to get back on track . .
. 

March 14th: Alma 26:5-7  ". . . and behold the number of your sheaves! And they shall be gathered into the garners, that they are not wasted.  6. Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day; yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds; but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them; yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever the enemy listeth to carry them.  7. But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day."

This is one of my favorites.  Ever since I learned that in Latter-day Saint doctrine, the word "garners" is synonymous with the word "temples." 


"The sheaves in this analogy represent newly baptized members of the Church. The garners are the holy temples. Elder Neal A. Maxwell explained: “Clearly, when we baptize, our eyes should gaze beyond the baptismal font to the holy temple. The great garner into which the sheaves should be gathered is the holy temple.” This instruction clarifies and emphasizes the importance of sacred temple ordinances and covenants—that the sheaves may not be wasted." (David A. Bednar, "Honorably Hold a Name and Standing")

In context, this passage is about the success that Ammon and his brothers had sharing the gospel with the Lamanites--but it is such a great verse to "liken" to myself and my family!  Especially when I think of what it says in the Bible dictionary: "A temple is literally a house of the Lord . . . A place where the Lord may come, it is the most holy of any place of worship on the earth. Only the home can compare with the temple in sacredness" (see BD, temple).

Yes!  I want my home to be a temple--a place where the storm cannot penetrate! 


At times, I am discouraged by the clutter that comes with family life, and wonder how my home can be a temple when it is in such disarray.  But then there are times (like this great month of March Madness!) when I feel the Spirit of the Lord in my home, regardless of the dishes piled in (and around) the sink, or the ubiquitous stack of papers near the computer, or the never-ending trail of mud, gloves, and shoes on the kitchen floor . . .  

If I invite the Spirit into my life, it not only grants me the gift of discernment (being able to see things as they really are) . . . that Spirit can also "spill over" into my home and my loved ones around me.  If the Spirit is with me, as a wife and mother and leader in the home, I am treating my children and husband with more patience and understanding.  I am responding with faith when crisis comes.  I am seeking for the will of the Lord in all that I do.  And that definitely changes the entire feeling in my entire home, which can compare with the temple in sacredness.

This does not negate the agency or accountability of other family members to contribute to that Spirit, and it does not place all the responsibility of maintaining a nurturing environment upon me or upon mothers in general . . . but it is a clear and personal example to me that trying to stay close to my Father in Heaven affects my own life and the lives of those around me, regardless of my role or circumstance. 

That said . . . as a mother, I can attest from personal experience that my demeanor and attitude do directly affect the home environment to the degree that I allow.  If I pray for help and then work to create a loving and safe environment, that prayer is always answered, regardless of what chaos comes.  If left to my own impatient and frazzled devices . . . my home feels more like a house.  A messy, stress-y, transgress-y house :).  How can I protect my children from the storm if I am the storm? :)
 

I wish I could remember where I got this
drawing . . . it is on my Funny Fix page.
I know that I am fulfilling a divine role when I accept responsibility to contribute to a clean, well-ordered, positive, loving, and safe environment.  I am so imperfect at all of these things!  But my sheaves are my children--and my desire to gather them safely in helps me to earnestly seek and pray for strength beyond my own.  When I trust myself to the hands of the Lord of the harvest, my home can be a temple, a place of security for my family and refuge from the storm (see Isaiah 25:4).

March 13th: Alma 13:21-22 " . . .  Now is the time to repent, for the day of salvation draweth nigh; Yea, and the voice of the Lord, by the mouth of angels, doth declare it unto all nations; yea, doth declare it, that they may have glad tidings of great joy; yea, and he doth sound these glad tidings among all his people, yea, even to them that are scattered abroad upon the face of the earth . . ."

Continuing in the thoughts from yesterday's verses, this passage seemed like an appropriate conclusion: it's about why the Lord calls prophets to declare repentance.  Not for everyone to feel horrible, not to make us bound down or restricted or confined by sets of arbitrary rules . . . it's so we can feel joy!  It's because Christ's atonement for our sins makes it possible for us to be rid of feelings of guilt and pain and sorrow, through repentance.  And our Father in Heaven loves us enough to "sound these glad tidings among all His people."
  

(I had fun making this one, because it is one of my favorite quotes,
and this is exactly the kind of picture I envision when I think of it).

"Repentance is a divine gift, and there should be a smile on our faces when we speak of it."  (Read, watch, or listen to "The Divine Gift of Repentance," by Elder D Todd Christofferson).
March 12th: Alma 9:6  "And they said: aWho is God, that sendeth no more authority than one man among this people, to declare unto them the truth of such great and marvelous things?"

This scripture is unlike any of the others that I've been highlighting--it's not really a verse containing doctrine, or messages of hope or comfort; it's the bare-bones account of how the wicked people of the city Ammonihah responded to the prophet Alma when he came among them to declare repentance.  I left the footnote link on purpose, because it leads to three other scriptures where a wicked person asks the taunting question, "Who is God?"

  • Exodus 5:2 [Pharaoh to Moses] "And Pharaoh said, Who is the Lord, that I should obey his voice to let Israel go? I know not the Lord, neither will I let Israel go."
  • Mosiah 11:27 [King Noah to Abinadi] "Now when king Noah had heard of the words which Abinadi had spoken unto the people, he was also wroth; and he said: Who is Abinadi, that I and my people should be judged of him, or who is the Lord, that shall bring upon my people such great affliction?
  • Moses 5:16 [Cain] "And Adam and Eve, his wife, ceased not to call upon God. And Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bare Cain, and said: I have gotten a man from the Lord; wherefore he may not reject his words. But behold, Cain hearkened not, saying: Who is the Lord that I should know him?

So, there are two Old Testament examples and two Book of Mormon examples of how people or peoples often respond when confronted with a message which instructs them to change their ways.  "Say what?  Why should I obey someone I don't even know or believe in?"

The reason this stuck out to me is because I believe this question is more prevalent in modern society than it may ever have been.  I live in a time of "moral relativism," where what is called "good" or "bad" is subject to the circumstances, and not to absolute truths--and certainly not subject to something as "old-fashioned" as a belief in God, let alone reverence for His teachings and commandments. 

Yet I believe in God. 

And so do millions of people, of my faith and of other faiths!  It's not a hope or a wish, it's a knowledge gained by faith in action, with confirmation in the form of thoughts to my mind and feelings to my heart (see Doctrine and Covenants 8:2-3).

It is not wrong to ask the question, "Who is God?" if we simply don't know, because we can know Him!  I think that many people sincerely desire to know Him and don't know where to turn.  The Savior told his disciples how they could come to know Him--by doing His will (see John 7:17).  Because I believe the Bible and the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, I have come to know God by reading these books.  I can feel my Father in Heaven's love for all His children (and for me personally!) when I read accounts of His loving interaction with His children throughout history. 



found this one on Pinterest!

My belief in God leads me to believe in modern prophets!  God has called men and women to declare His words throughout time--not just anciently.  In the Old Testament, we read, "Surely the Lord God will do nothing, but he revealeth his secret unto his servants the prophets" (Amos 3:7).  There is a prophet today, and he speaks for the Lord the same way Alma did to the people of Ammonihah, or Moses did to Pharaoh--because God loves His children in all ages.  We can come to know God by knowing his prophets.  It is interesting that in some of the scriptural examples above, the persons also asked the question "Who are you?" to the prophets who declared God's words--they didn't know or reverence God because they didn't know or reverence His messengers.

Thomas S. Monson is the current President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but he is foremost a prophet to the world, regardless of church membership or religious belief.  You can read what he has to say about morality today, and what messages his counselors and apostles, who are also prophets, are called to give the world from our Father in Heaven.  One of those apostles, D. Todd Christofferson, delivered an address about this very topic, and his words are both encouraging and sobering:    

The societies in which many of us live have for more than a generation failed to foster moral discipline. They have taught that truth is relative and that everyone decides for himself or herself what is right. Concepts such as sin and wrong have been condemned as “value judgments.” . . . As a consequence, self-discipline has eroded and societies are left to try to maintain order and civility by compulsion. The lack of internal control by individuals breeds external control by governments . . . Our teaching should draw upon our own faith and focus first and foremost on instilling faith in God in the rising generation. We must declare the essential need to keep the commandments of God and to walk uprightly before Him in soberness, or in other words, with reverence. Each must be persuaded that service and sacrifice for the well-being and happiness of others are far superior to making one’s own comfort and possessions the highest priority.  This requires more than an occasional reference to one or another gospel principle. There must be constant teaching, mostly by example. {D. Todd Christofferon, "Moral Discipline, October 2009}
The first Article of Faith of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints sums up my beliefs.  In 2014, this may be considered by many to be a bold thing to declare, but I won't let that stop me from saying it:
I believe in God the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost.



March 11th:
  • Mosiah 29:20 ". . . and thus doth the Lord work with his power in all cases among the children of men, extending the arm of mercy‍ towards them that put their trust‍ in him."
  • Alma 5:33 "Behold, he sendeth an invitation unto all‍ men, for the arms‍ of mercy are extended towards them, and he saith: Repent, and I will receive you."
The first verse stood out to me at the beginning of my reading today, and then I read the second one on the last page of my study, and they fit together so perfectly.   I love how the Book of Mormon prophets build and expound upon each others words throughout their history.

Mercy is definitely a recurring theme of the Book of Mormon.  Over and over, prophets testify that Jesus Christ is waiting to forgive those who come unto Him (see "The Savior Wants to Forgive" by Craig A. Cardon, April 2013).

An especially poignant verse that I also read today illustrates so beautifully how close the Lord can be to us when we need Him most:

  • Alma 4:15 "And now it came to pass that Alma, having seen the afflictions of the humble followers of God, and the persecutions which were heaped upon them by the remainder of his people, and seeing all their inequality, began to be very sorrowful; nevertheless the Spirit of the Lord did not fail him."
I know from personal experience that the Spirit of the Lord will not fail us during our "very sorrowful" times.  The Savior's loving "arms of mercy are extended" and He is ever waiting to gather us, walk with us through our sorrows, and ultimately strengthen us.  I often think of a line from "How Gentle God's Commands" during my sorrowful times:

          "Why should this anxious load
          Press down your weary mind?
          Haste to your Heav'nly Father's throne
          And sweet refreshment find."



Found this on Pinterest as well.

March 10th: Mosiah 23:18  "Therefore they did watch over their people, and did nourish them with things pertaining to righteousness." 

This scripture continues in the vein of the one from March 7th--about nourishing our children and families with good things, instead of focusing on the bad.  The Book of Mormon is a handbook for parenting, people!  Mostly because it invites the Spirit into my life as I read it, and I am always a better parent with the Spirit guiding me than when left to my own impatient devices . . .

I am going to "liken" this verse and apply it to myself with a reminder on the fridge:



March 9th: Mosiah 15:10-11  "10 . . . And who shall be his seed?  11.  Behold I say unto you, that {1.} whosoever has heard the words of the prophets, yea, all the holy prophets who have prophesied concerning the coming of the Lord—I say unto you, that {2.}all those who have hearkened unto their words, and {3.}believed that the Lord would redeem his people, and {4.}have looked forward to that day for a remission of their sins, I say unto you, that these are his seed, or they are the heirs of the kingdom of God." {Red highlights and numbers added by Becca}

This is a great complement for the scripture from March 6th--I love this recurring message of the Book of Mormon!  That God loves all His children, and denies none, for all are alike unto Him (see 2 Nephi 26:33). 

I remembered a conference talk on this very subject, and when I went to lds.org to search for it, I typed in "all are alike unto God," and the very talk I was looking for popped up first!  It is entitled "All Men Everywhere," and was given by Dallin H. Oaks in 2006.  The best part of the talk is that it is totally a plug for reading and re-reading the Book of Mormon!  Perfect for March Madness!


 

March 8th: Mosiah 2:32 "But, O my people, beware lest there shall arise contentions among you, and ye list to obey the evil spirit . . ."

King Benjamin's three-chapters address is so spiritually deep that I think I have not noticed this small verse before, but it is a great passage for me right now.  It's all too easy to justify "contentious" feelings toward those whom I feel have wronged me.  But it's not okay . . . it actually will lead to bondage.  It sounds so dramatic to think of holding a grudge or being annoyed at someone as "listing to obey the evil spirit," because no one ever consciously thinks, "I'm going to obey evil spirits and choose to be offended by my neighbors today!"  Hurtful things are said and done by others, and it's no easy thing to just let them go.  But the Lord is very clear that it is required of us to forgive all men (see Doctrine and Covenants 64:10).

So . . . ultimately what I like about this short passage is that it is a simple reminder of where all
contention comes from.  Though it is easy to justify hurt feelings, it is better to take comfort and strength from the forgiving example of our Savior, and free myself from the bondage of contentious feelings.


March 7th: Jacob 5:66  "For it grieveth me that I should lose the trees of my vineyard; wherefore ye shall clear away the bad according as the good shall grow, that the root and the top may be equal in strength, until the good shall overcome the bad, and the bad be hewn down and cast into the fire, that they cumber not the ground of my vineyard; and thus will I sweep away the bad out of my vineyard."

I don't know when I made a note to the side of this verse, but at some point I wrote "How to raise children: focus on the positive" and connected it to the phrase I italicized above, "clear away the bad according as the good shall grow."  I have no memory of having such a thought in connection with this verse, because it seemed like a totally new insight to me this morning.  I'm glad I wrote it down when it came, because it's just what I need to focus on with my kids right now.

Sometimes Jacob chapter 5 is a chapter to be dreaded, because it is over six pages long, but I do love the "Olive Tree Allegory," and am grateful that we have these words from the prophet Zenos which were lost from the Bible but still intact for the Nephites in the brass plates.
Allegory of the Olive Tree, woodcut by Brad Teare
The word "nourish" is used twenty-one times in chapter five, and I love that!  Nourish is such a tender word; the Lord of the vineyard took such loving care with His different trees, and wept when their fruit was corrupted.  This is how our Savior cares for us--His arm is lengthened out all the day, and He continually nourishes and nurtures us--we must choose whether to recognize and accept His watchful care.

As a parent, sometimes I want to quickly "cut out" the undesirable behaviors that I see in my kids, but I think Zenos had it right when he compared vineyard husbandry (digging and planting and pruning and dunging and WORKING) to caring for people . . . you've got to focus on those good traits and desirable behaviors, and strengthen those first.  As the "good branches" are strengthened, a natural consequence is a weakening of the "bad branches."  If I want my children to trust and obey me, they've got to know I love them.  They can feel that love so much better if I am praising their good efforts and focusing on their strengths than if I am continually "lopping off" what I perceive to be "bad" with constant correction, curtailing, or criticism.  No tree would grow (let alone thrive) with perpetual pruning!

It's humbling to see those areas where I need to improve, and humbling again to realize that my Father in Heaven not only trusts me to train up these tender young children of mine, but that He is simultaneously caring for me with such tenderness.

March 6th: 2 Nephi 30:2  "For behold, I say unto you that as many of the Gentiles as will repent are the covenant people of the Lord; and as many of the Jews as will not repent shall be cast off; for the Lord covenanteth with none save it be with them that repent and believe in his Son, who is the Holy One of Israel."

I have noticed again how this message is repeated in the Old Testament, which is what we are studying in Sunday School in 2014.  It seems like almost every firstborn son loses his birthright through disobedience or apathy.  God teaches this lesson over and over in the Old and New Testaments, and again in the Book of Mormon---His great blessings are reserved for certain people, not by virtue of their birth or lineage or even professed religion, but by virtue of their faith, repentance, and obedience.
     
His choicest blessings are freely given to any who have the "courage to accept his will, to listen and obey." (see "As Now We Take the Sacrament, by L. Tom Perry)



March 5th: 2 Nephi 25:23-26  "23. For we labor diligently to write, to persuade our children, and also our brethren, to believe in Christ, and to be reconciled to God; for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.  24. . . . we believe in Christ . . . and look forward with steadfastness unto Christ . . . 25. . . . we are made alive in Christ because of our faith . . . 26. And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look for a remission of their sins."

The Book of Mormon testifies of Christ!  One of its over-arching messages is that God is mindful of all His children, in all ages, and that the Gospel of Jesus Christ has been known to peoples and cultures throughout the world and throughout history.  Not only did He appear to the Nephites and Lamanites on the American continent after His resurrection, He also speaks to all seekers of truth through His prophets in every age, including ours.


This passage was at the end of my reading today, and it's always been a favorite.  I love to read and learn about the divine grace of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  I know that He truly can make up for what I lack; the Atonement of the Savior activates this enabling power in my life--both to help me repent of sin, and to "find strength beyond my own" to overcome trials and create good in the world (listen to one of my favorite hymns, "Lord, I Would Follow Thee").

March 4th (March FORTH!): The section I read today has such a rich spiritual depth, it was hard to choose one passage--so here are two:

2 Nephi 3:12  "Wherefore, the fruit of thy loins shall write [Book of Mormon]; and the fruit of the loins of Judah shall write [Bible]; and that which shall be written by the fruit of thy loins, and also that which shall be written by the fruit of the loins of Judah, shall grow together, unto the {1}confounding of false doctrines and {2}laying down of contentions, and {3}establishing peace among the fruit of thy loins, and {4}bringing them to the knowledge of their fathers in the latter days, and {5}also to the knowledge of my covenants, saith the Lord." {Red notes added by Becca}
I chose this passage because it very simply outlines what the Bible and the Book of Mormon are meant to do together.  They compliment each other, they support each other, they help to clarify points of doctrine.  Both are testaments of Jesus Christ--and are the "sticks" of Joseph and Judah which are talked about in the Old Testament (see Ezekiel 37:19).  Together, they make a whole, and "shall be one in [God's] hand."

2 Nephi 10:23-25  "23. Therefore, cheer up your hearts, and remember that ye are free to act for yourselves—to choose the way of everlasting death or the way of eternal life. 24. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, reconcile yourselves to the will of God, and not to the will of the devil and the flesh; and remember, after ye are reconciled unto God, that it is only in and through the grace of God that ye are saved.  25. Wherefore, may God raise you from death by the power of the resurrection, and also from everlasting death by the power of the atonement, that ye may be received into the eternal kingdom of God, that ye may praise him through grace divine. Amen."

I love any passage that talks about grace--the word "grace" is sometimes not as big a part of Mormon vernacular as it is for our evangelical brothers and sisters.  But it is definitely part of our doctrine, though the interpretation of its meaning may be different.  In the Bible Dictionary, we read:

"The main idea of the word [grace] is divine means of help or strength, given through the bounteous mercy and love of Jesus Christ. 
It is through the grace of the Lord Jesus, made possible by His atoning sacrifice, that mankind will be raised in immortality, every person receiving his body from the grave in a condition of everlasting life. It is likewise through the grace of the Lord that individuals, through faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ and repentance of their sins, receive strength and assistance to do good works that they otherwise would not be able to maintain if left to their own means. This grace is an enabling power that allows men and women to lay hold on eternal life and exaltation after they have expended their own best efforts.
Divine grace is needed by every soul in consequence of the Fall of Adam and also because of man’s weaknesses and shortcomings. However, grace cannot suffice without total effort on the part of the recipient. Hence the explanation, “It is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do” (2 Ne. 25:23). It is truly the grace of Jesus Christ that makes salvation possible." 

Found this doing an image search.

I also love that Jacob concludes his sermon to the people of Nephi by saying "cheer up your hearts."  The Gospel of Jesus Christ is not just "good news" . . . it really is the BEST news!  It should always cheer our hearts!

Sometimes I can personally lose sight of this "best news" when I feel overly burdened by the many good programs, activities, and auxiliaries in the church.  But it always helps me to realize that the gospel of Jesus Christ may, at times, be a different thing from the church and its many necessary (and occasionally un-) programs and functions.  Jesus Christ and His Gospel will always bring me the cheer and hope and grace that I need.

March 3rd: 2 Nephi 2:6-8  "6. Wherefore, redemption cometh in and through the Holy Messiah; for he is full of grace and truth.  7. Behold, he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin, to answer the ends of the law, unto all those who have a broken heart and a contrite spirit; and unto none else can the ends of the law be answered.  8. Wherefore, how great the importance to make these things known unto the inhabitants of the earth, that they may know that there is no flesh that can dwell in the presence of God, save it be through the merits, and mercy, and grace of the Holy Messiah, who layeth down his life according to the flesh, and taketh it again by the power of the Spirit, that he may bring to pass the resurrection of the dead, being the first that should rise."

Can you see why the subtitle of the book of Mormon is "Another Testament of Jesus Christ"?

This is kind of an Easter-y passage of Scripture.  I don't know why it stood out to me today, but when I read "he offereth himself a sacrifice for sin," I couldn't help thinking of Eliza R. Snow's hymn, "Behold the Great Redeemer Die."  It has such a beautiful alto line--I love when the women sing the third line alone.
          Behold the Great Redeemer die,
          A broken law to satisfy
          He dies a sacrifice for sin
          He dies a sacrifice for sin,
          That man may live, and glory win.

We rarely sing the sixth verse during Sacrament meeting, which goes along beautifully with this passage of scripture about what Latter-Day Saints (Mormons) believe about our Redeemer, and how our relationship with Him should affect our lives.

          He lives--He lives.  We humbly now
          Around these sacred symbols bow
          And seek, as Saints of Latter Days,
          And seek, as Saints of Latter Days,
          To do his will and live his praise.

Eliza R. Snow
You can listen to this and all LDS hymns here.

March 2nd: 1 Nephi 15:24: ". . . whoso would hearken unto the word of God, and would hold fast unto it, they would never perish; neither could the temptations and the fiery darts of the adversary overpower them unto blindness, to lead them away to destruction."

From an image search.
The Book of Mormon is the word of God, and "holding fast" means daily study of this and other scriptures, including modern revelation.  Nephi learned from his vision that the key to spiritual protection against temptations and trials is to simply make place for the word of God in his daily life.  I love footnote d in this verse--it leads to Doctrine and Covenants 3:8, which reads: "Yet you should have been faithful; and he would have extended his arm and supported you against all the fiery darts of the adversary; and he would have been with you in every time of trouble."

I love that!  Our Savior Jesus Christ can be with us in every time of trouble.  We just need to hold fast to his words.  I know from personal experience that those words can comfort us, buoy us up, and give us peace and direction.  Studying God's word consistently makes it possible for the scriptures to be "written in our hearts" (see 2 Nephi 8:7).

March 1st:  The first passage is what I was reading when I had the idea to keep this record.  It is 1 Nephi 6:5-6:  "Wherefore, the things which are pleasing unto the world I do not write, but the things which are pleasing unto God and unto those who are not of the world.  Wherefore, I shall give commandment unto my seed, that they shall not occupy these plates with things which are not of worth unto the children of men."

I love to write and I write a lot.  I write letters and emails, I keep a journal, and, hello, I write on this very blog.  And this passage struck me, because I want to be sure that when I write, I am including those things that are "pleasing to God," and that I don't occupy my personal "plates" with things that are "not of worth."  Mostly, I want to be sure that when I write, I am true to what I believe.  And I believe in Jesus Christ.  I believe in His doctrine, which is more readily found in the pages of the Book of Mormon than anywhere else.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Bec, I love this so, so much! I know I repeatedly say that, but this was so powerful and beautifully written. It really motivates and helps me see what is "most important"!
I especially love when you wrote, "Nephi learned from his vision that the key to spiritual protection against temptations and trials is to simply make place for the word of God in his daily life." Seems so simple, and yet it is so easy to put other, more worldly pleasures, before it.
I love that your Seminary teacher invited you all to join in on the March Madness Scripture reading. We have been reading every night as a family, but have slacked the past few nights because of busy schedules. This is just what I needed to pick up the slack, and put the Lord first.
You and Allen are such great examples to me & my family. I love and appreciate your words and your testimony more than you know. You are so Christ-like and remind me through your testimony and the way you choose to live your life, that I need to live a more Christ centered life as well. Thank you so much for your words and your testimony.They are just what I needed tonight. I am so lucky to have such an amazing sister. I love you Bec!
Han

Becca said...

But, Hanna, YOU always make MY day when you write such nice things to me. In a public place, no less.

Thanks for always lifting me up--I crave the approval of my sisters above all others, because you guys are my heroes.

Cori said...

It's true, Bec. You ARE a shining example to all - of exceptional parenting, of Christlike love and service, of righteous motivation in all you do! Thank you for a beautiful post, on a beautiful Spring day :)

Tiffany Unsworth said...

Sweet! Thank you for the reminder that we are gathering the most important souls into "the garners" when we build homes of sacredness!