2008-12-23

♫♪ London calling to the faraway towns . . . ♪♫

My lil' brudder is going to serve a full-time mission! He got his mission call over Thanksgiving, while we were at Bonnie's. Bonnie and I sat cheek-to-cheek with her cell phone up to both of our ears so we could hear where he'd be going right when he opened his call.

London, England.

I told Eli that, though I am incredibly happy and excited for him, it's only slightly overshadowed by my INSANE JEALOUSY! It's where President Hinckley served! And it's a totally foreign country where you still get to speak English! And he is going to the MTC (Missionary Training Center) in Preston, England, which is, as any pilates instructor would redundantly say, "an extra added bonus."

Okay, and aside from the multitudinous spiritual/developmental/testimony-strengthening/gospel-sharing aspects of serving a mission, which are definitely the most important parts . . . I don't think it's fair that Eli should get to spend two years immersed in the world that gave us Shakespeare, The Beatles, Jamie Oliver, and Charlie & Lola, to name only a few. These are my favorite things, E!

He reports to the Preston MTC in April. Plenty of time for me to educate Elder Coon on the important pop-cultural particulars of our pals accross the pond.

7 comments:

Erin said...

I agree with you, Becca. WOuld it be possible for us to serve a short mission together, as companions, in Eli's mission? Wouldn't that be fun - a few weeks, then plenty of time for sight-seeing!

The goal now is for Eli to bring you back tons of cool souvenirs, I think!

Emily G said...

How fantastic! And I don't even have kids but can proudly say that I also LOVE Charlie and Lola.

jenn said...

i am seriously so excited for eli!!!! missions are great! i am also glad that he and spence will get to see each other before eli leaves...YEAH FOR LONDON!!!!

Elise said...

♫ England swings like the pendulum do,
Bobbies on bicycles two by two,
Westminster Abbey, the Tower Big Ben,
The rosy red cheeks of the little children... ♫

My mom used to sing that song to me when I was little and I've loved England ever since. What a great mission! Except for the food. Eee.

Becca said...

Whaddya mean, Elise? I would looooooove to eat fish and chips and corned beef and cabbage and bubble and squeak and toad in the hole and steak and kidney pie and yorkshire pudding for two whole years . . . hahaha!

Have fun, Eli . . .

Nikki said...

Hi Becca -
I had to come here to say hi after reading your comment on TAMN's blog with the reindeer poop song...just wanted to say that has totally MADE my Christmas Eve! I laughed so hard!!

Also, congrats on your brother's mission - I've lived in Bristol (about 3 hours from London) for the last 3 years, and it's been wonderful. (Have him send home lots of chocolate - British is sooo much better than American!)

Heidi said...

Josh turns his mission papers on April 29th! He is so excited. Congrats to your brother! I had a friend that served there back in the early 90's.