Bex Favorite Books
58. Flight: Volume 5 (12.31.08)
Edited by: Kazu Kibiushi
Genre: graphic novel/young adult/fantasy
Bex Rating: 9
Wow. Kazu knows how to pick 'em. This is a collection of about fifteen short stories told in graphic novel form. I didn't want it to end, but am glad that I can go back and read volumes 1-4. My favorite story in this collection was "Worry Dolls," by J.P. Ahonen.
57. Flight: Explorer (12.30.08)
Edited by: Kazu Kibiushi
Genre: graphic novel/juvenile/fantasy
Bex Rating: 9
So much fun! And perfect for any child--I plan on reading this to Truman. The art is amazing and the stories are short, sweet, and delightful. I wish there was more than one volume of Explorer--keep 'em coming!
56. Bone 1: Out From Boneville (12.29.08)
By: Jeff Smith
Genre: graphic novel/juvenile/fantasy/humor
Bex Rating: 8
Allen got me three graphic novels for Christmas, and they were all so much fun that I read them during our fabulous Christmas vacation. I had seen the "Bone" series loads of times, but never really gave it a good look. However, this first volume was thoroughly enjoyable, and I want to get them all for myself and my kids. I would say it's appropriate for age 12 and up.
55. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2008.12.20)
By: JK Rowling
Genre: fantasy/young adult/adventure/allegory
Bex Rating: 10!
Tales of Beedle the Bard totally whetted my appetitie for more Rowling. It was the perfect time to read Hallows for the first second time. Aaaahhh, I loved it. And I was delighted that I didn't remember everything. And though mothers all over the world may argue with me, I felt Molly Weasley was justified, once again, in calling Bellatrix LeStrange a "B" before she killed her. YES! I love Kreacher's transformation, and I love all the narrow escapes. I love Ron's birthday gift to Harry, "12 ways to charm a witch." I love Harry letting Ron destroy the locket. I love Ron and Hermione finally kissing when Ron expresses concern about the house elves. I love Neville killing Nagini with the sword of Gryffindor (though I wish, in the epilogue, that Neville was the DADA teacher, instead of the herbology teacher). I love Harry calling Voldemort "Riddle" and Voldemort finally being destroyed with "expelliarmus." Oh, and poor Snape! His silver doe patronus makes me get teary. It was wonderful to re-read. And Beedle the Bard made me laugh aloud. I loved all of the tales except the hairy heart--FREAKY.
54. Tales of Beedle the Bard (2008.12.12)
By: JK Rowling
Genre: fantasy/young adult/fable
Bex Rating: 9.5!
It was good. It was very good. But so disappointingly short! I wanted more tales from Beedle! I laughed out loud several times (especially when Rowling describes the wizards who thought these wizarding fairy tales were too gruesome, so they "watered them down"), and it made me ache for more Rowling--so it finally became time to read Deathly Hallows for the first second time.
53. Rules (2008.11.20)
By: Cynthia Lord
Genre: young adult/Newbery honor/friends/disability
Bex Rating: 9
This is Cynthia Lord's first book for young adults, and it won a Newbery Honor. I love the cover and have been wanting to read it for a while, so when it was on sale at the Scholastic Book Fair I couldn't resist. It was great! I got a little teary, even. It's not a new story--12-year-old Catherine struggles with her resentful/loving feelings toward her younger autistic brother, David, and her resentful/loving feelings toward her parents, who focus so much of their time and energy on David. But Catherine helps by making "rules" for David, to teach him how to cope with the world around him.
David loves Frog and Toad, by Arnold Lobel, and is endlessly reciting sections of the F&T books, which I thought was a nice touch. And Cynthia Lord has a very clear, fresh voice--the characters were very genuine and well-developed.
Two little gems from the book:
"Mom says I have to deal with what is, and not get my hopes up--but how else can hopes go but up?"
"Why is it the minute kids have free time, parents want to fill it up?"
52. The Cookcamp (2008.11.12)
By: Gary Paulsen
Genre: memoir/coming-of-age/WWII/outdoors/young adult
Bex Rating: 8
This was a very quick read, and it smacks of having biographical information from Paulsen's own boyhood. It's the story of a small boy who goes to live in Canada with his grandmother, who cooks for a construction crew that is building a road. Made me hungry for pie.
51. Framed (2008.11.09)
By: Frank Cotrell Boyce
Genre: young adult/British/art appreciation/crime
Bex Rating: 7.5
Dylan Hughes loves living in Manod, Wales. But the town is dying, and his family's business is losing money. When the National Gallery of Art in London needs to protect its paintings from flooding, they secretly bring all their Van Gogh's, Renoirs, and Monets to the abandoned slate mine above Manod. That's when Dylan starts to turn the town around.
This book was definitely fun and light. Some hilarious (and totally British) moments that made me laugh out loud . . . and there was more information on Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles than I thought existed.
50. American-Born Chinese (2008.11.05)
By: Gene Luen Yang
Genre: young adult/graphic novel/coming-of-age/allegory/memoir
Bex rating: 9
Been wanting to read it for a while--I finished it in one gulp. It was funny, poignant, true-to-life, and well drawn. Though it is fiction, Gene Luen Yang chose the graphic novel form to depict his own journey in discovering his identity as an Asian-American.
There are three separate story lines that come together in a great twist at the end. The stories are intertwined so well, and I really felt for the struggles of the characters. Yang's art is not as intricate and fantastic as Kazu Kibuishi's, and it's not as beautiful as David Petersen's, but it has some great elements in common with their work: you love to look at the characters, the story is real and progresses so fluidly, and (bonus!), it's clean. American-Born Chinese conveys strong lessons about the realities of racial prejudice and the complexities of choosing the right.
49. Little Heathens: Hard Times and High Spirits on an Iowa Farm During the Great Depression (2008.10.29)
By: Mildred Kalish
Genre: Memoir/Historical (Depression Era)/Inspirational/Rural
Bex Rating: 9.5!
I've been wanting to read Little Heathens since my friend Erin first reviewed it, way back in July. It did not disappoint!
Mildred Kalish has written (at the urging of family members and from her own desire to share life lessons) a wonderful depiction of her life as a child during the Great Depression. Her prose is frank, clean, and beautifully written. Each chapter is a "section" of her childhood--there's a chapter on cooking, a chapter about her relatives, a chapter devoted to animals, and chapters about chores, curse words, socials, religion and leisure time. There are old recipes and remedies, and lyrics to songs that "Milly" remembers.
Here are a few of my favorite excerpts:
On Christmas: "We all knew that the jolly man in the red suit and the white beard was the owner of the Standard Oil filling station. He was the fattest man in town and needed no stuffing materials. He knew everyone, and if you asked him for an extra bag of candy for a sick brother or sister, he would give it to you because he would have already heard about the illness. Inside the brown paper sack there were ribbons of slick candy, peppermint pillows, cherry, strawberry, lemon, and grape hard candies (sometimes filled, sometimes not), and jellied orange slices rolled in coarse sugar. Sometimes there would be chocolate drops, the old-fashioned kind, with the heavy white centers and a thin covering of bittersweet chocolate. Along with all the candies there would be pecans, peanuts, and Brazil nuts in the shell, and, to top it all off, a Delicious apple and a navel orange. Remember, this lavish revelry occurred in midwinter during the harshest weather and the worst depression of the century, when grown men were selling apples on the streets to get enough money to feed their families, when one thought twice before spending even a dime, when poverty firmly strangled hope. The camaraderie and exquisite joy of an evening like this are all but impossible to convey today."
On Winter: "For whatever reason, it seemed that no amount of clothing could keep me warm enough. Hearing of my plight, a dear, elderly friend of my grandmother's kindly contributed a skunk fur-collar scarf for me to wear when I was six years old . . . The ample collar came to the top of my ears, almost covering my head. Six--yes, six--thick furry tails tipped with white were attached to the front, covering my chest. I was a ridiculous sight to behold and my classmates made fun of me. An even more serious problem was that, because the fur was skunk, and because the tanner had not properly treated the skin, the collar and I both reeked. The choice was mine: Don't wear the skunk skin and freeze, or wear the skunk scarf and be warm but smelly. Remember, we kids had been having our characters built from the day of our birth. I chose the skunky scarf."
I love this book--I got it at the library, but will be adding it to my home library as soon as possible. It is a no-nonsense portrayal of a life dedicated to hard work during a hard time, but joy and humor and love shine through so easily and so admirably. I highly recommend it!
48. These High, Green Hills (2008.09.21)
By: Jan Karon
Genre: adult contemporary fiction/inspirational/religious
Bex Rating: 8
The third Mitford installment was the most serious of the three (Father Tim deals with some more real-life issues than the previous two books), and it was as soothing as the first two, but lacking a little of their sparkle. Still, I can't wait to read the fourth, Out to Canaan . . .
47. Lizzie Bright and the Buckminster Boy (2008.09.16)
By: Gary D. Shmidt
Genre: Coming-of-age/Juvenile Fiction/Newbery Honor (2005)
Bex Rating: 7
The beginning was wonderful , and the writing was excellent, but I had a hard time believing the characters. I thought some choices with the plot were totally gratuitous, especially as the book was wrapping up. Set in 1912 New England, it's the story of a minister's son who makes friends with a black girl named Lizzie Bright. Both Turner Buckminster and Lizze Bright are wonderful characters, but the story was just too hard to swallow. The writing style was Newbery-worthy, but not the plot.
46. Lost and Found (2008.09.15)
By: Andrew Clements
Genre: juvenile fiction/school story
Bex Rating: 7.5
Another fun book by Andrew Clements. This one is about identical twin brothers who move to a new school and discover that the school only has one of the boys' records . . . so they take turns going to school and hiding out at home. Great lessons about honesty and identity.
45. Clementine's Letter (2008.09.14)
By: Sara Pennypacker
Illustrated by: Marla Frazee
Genre: juvenile fiction/humor/parenting
Bex rating: 8.5
Clementine is still hilarious and delightful (and Marla Frazee, the illustrator, has Clementine dressed in the coolest clothes . . . I want her wardrobe). Wonderful illustrations and laugh-out-loud moments from beginning to end. Makes you remember what it's like to be a child--perhaps more importantly, it reminds you to treat children's problems and frustrations with warmth and understanding.
44. The Talented Clementine (2008.09.13)
By: Sara Pennypacker
Illustrated by: Marla Frazee
Genre: juvenile fiction/humor/parenting
Bex rating: 9
Oh! I need to own every Clementine book! I checked this and the third one out of the library and am desperate for more of that sweet, hilarious girl and her family! Please, Sara Pennypacker--keep 'em coming! This book has a great lesson for any child who struggles with self-esteem or has a hard time feeling good about his/her abilities.
43. A Light in the Window (2008.09.13)
By: Jan Karon
Genre: adult contemporary fiction/inspirational/religious
Bex Rating: 9
I thoroughly enjoyed reading about Father Tim's small-town escapades. This book was just as fun and soothing as the first (At Home in Mitford) and the characters were so endearing (except for that wretched Edith Mallory).
42. Three Bags Full (2008.09.08)
By: Leonie Swann
Genre: Mystery/Anthropomorphism/contemporary fiction
Bex rating: 7
I definitely liked it more at the beginning than the end. The premise is totally original and hilarious: it's the story of a shepherd being murdered, and his sheep try to solve the mystery. I love the names of the sheep: Miss Maple, Mopple the Whale, Cloud, Sir Ritchfield, Othello . . .
It was very funny and very well-written, but I lost interest about two-thirds through.
41. Smiles to Go (2008.08.29)
By: Jerry Spinelli
Genre: young adult/coming-of age
Bex Rating: 9.5!
I just now finished this book. It was so great I couldn’t wait to write a review. I predict Newbery Medal winner for 2008—you heard it here first.
Wow. It started and ended and middled so perfectly. It’s written from the point of view of a boy named Will Tuppence, who likes to plan for everything in advance. He’s organized, methodical, a thinker, a science geek, a chess champion, crazy about astronomy. His world is rocked when he hears about the first recorded death of a proton. But Will can’t predict anything his crazy, monstrous little sister will do, he doesn’t know how to handle the antics of his aimless best friend, BT, and he certainly doesn’t plan on falling for his other best friend, Mi-Su Kelly.
This book is Will’s journal entries, only instead of writing dates, he records time in days after the Proton Death. It’s so well-written that I feel jealousy toward Jerry Spinelli (and I’ll be re-examining his past works. I think I’ve read Maniac McGee, but I can’t remember anything about it—I do remember liking The Library Card, but the cover of Wringer has always turned me off).
Here are two of my favorite parts—I have no doubt these excerpts will interest anyone reading this review into reading the book itself
PD130 (Will’s proposed plan to kiss Mi-Su)
THE PLAN
Inspired by the words of Mi-Su Kelly:
“The stars. The place. The night.”
I. The place
A. Smedley Park
1. Picnic Grove
II. The Night
A. Speaks for itself
III. The Stars
A. First Option (clear sky)
1. Real (Polaris, Sirius, etc.)
B. Second option
1. Not Real (see V-B)
IV. Extra Credit
A. The Moon
V. Equipment/Materials
A. Thermos
1. Hot chocolate
B. Paper stars
1. Possible supply stores
a. Lily’s art pad
b. Staples
c. Rite-Aid
VI. The Bait (at school, February 14)
A. “I’m taking my telescope to Smedley Park tonight. Try to see the Horsehead Nebula. Want to come?”
VII. Procedure
A. Walk with her to Smedley Park after dinner
B. Set up scope
1. Fail to find Horsehead Nebula
a. On purpose
C. Drink hot chocolate
1. share cup
2. romantic
D. Words
1. “Hey, I guess we’re having our own little star party here, huh?”
2. “Know what we need? More stars!”
E. Dump paper stars over our heads
F. Words
1. “Happy Valentine’s Day!”
G. Kiss
I love reading a well-thought-out plan. And it’s so funny to think of planning with this kind of detail for something that is usually spontaneous. And here’s the second excerpt, from PD214. I thought it was such a great image:
“The looking forward will be so much fun that when Saturday finally comes, I’ll probably wish I had another week to think about it. I’ll carry my thoughts around me like soda in a cup, sipping through a straw whenever I feel like a taste: during class, on my skateboard, lying down to sleep, especially then.”
I totally recommend Smiles to Go—the title is another perfect aspect of the book, and you’ll discover what it means when you read it!
40. It’s Like This, Cat (2008.08.27)
By: Emily Neville
Genre: young adult/coming-of-age/Newbery Medal (1964)
Bex Rating: 6.5
Lots of great themes, but nothing is threaded together. I love the New York City life told from the point of view of the 14-year-old main character. But it felt like the author was always on the verge of revealing a great message, only she never did. The ending was especially anticlimactic.
39. At Home in Mitford (2008.08.25)
By: Jan Karon
Genre: adult contemporary fiction/inspirational/religious
Bex Rating: 9
I have to admit that the first thirty pages had me wondering if this book would be better used as a sleeping aid, but I think I wasn’t quite awake when I started.
If I could choose one word to describe this book, it would be “soothing.” By halfway through, I found my thoughts drifting to Father Tim and all the other Mitford characters at odd moments during the day. The people are people that you know from your own life—they are written so warmly and humanly. It’s a wonderful book, very uplifting and motivating—makes me want to savor my friendships and family relationships even more. I look forward to reading every single other book in the Mitford series.
38. City of Light, City of Dark (08.14.2008)
By: Avi
Illustrated by: Brian Floca
Genre: Graphic Novel/Fantasy/young adult
Bex Rating: 6
Got this “graphic novel” at Deseret Industries and I was initially very excited, because I enjoy Avi and I love a good graphic novel. But the story was totally weak, and the art did not redeem it. In fact, though I never had the “willing suspension of disbelief” about the plot, the art seemed even worse—because good art may have saved this poorly-executed story. It seems cruel to write . . . but, to me, all of the drawings looked like the hastily penciled storyboards that you do far in advance of the final product. Sorry, guys.
37. Clementine (08.12.2008)
By: Sara Pennyacker
Illustrated by: Marla Frazee
Genre: juvenile fiction
Bex rating: 9
I have been meaning to write something about Junie B. Jones, because Truman and Allen I have been reading them and loving them. I didn’t think any kid could top Junie B.’s antics . . . until Clementine came along.
There is one element that clearly makes the Clementine books superior: the illustrations. I really do feel slightly guilty for casting any kind of disparagement on Junie B., because I do love the (totally 90s) illustrations in those books—but mostly because they’ve grown on me as I’ve read the Junie B.’s. Marla Frazee’s illustrations, however, are in a completely different league. Clementine’s parents are especially realistic-looking, and the style is reminiscent of one of my all-time favorite illustrator’s: Robert McCloskey.
Clementine’s parents are a little less frazzled and a little more patient than Junie B’s parents, which thing I also admire about these books, because that’s the kind of parent I aspire to be.
36. Catherine, Called Birdy (08.11.2008)
By: Karen Cushman
Genre: Young Adult/Historical Fiction/Newbery Medal
Bex Rating: 8.5
There really are a lot of Newbery winners that are set in Medieval England, including last year’s medal winner. This one was thoroughly enjoyable—I loved reading Catherine’s wickedly funny journal entries and laughed through the whole thing. Catherine is the fourteen-year-old daughter of a knight who is being forced to marry by her father, but she’s a woman with a mind of her own and thwarts every suitor who comes her way. This book is obviously well-researched, and is written with a great balance of humor and honesty.
35. Room One: A Mystery or Two (08.08.2008)
By: Andrew Clements
Genre: juvenile fiction/school story/mystery
Bex Rating: 7.5
I always love an Andrew Clements book. This one is about life in a very small town—we’re talking eight kids in the entire school in a dying town in Nebraska. Clements does description so well—I always feel like I really get his characters, because he spends the perfect amount of time letting you inside his characters’ heads. This one was not my favorite, but still an enjoyable, quick read. If you haven’t read any Andrew Clements before, start with Frindle or A Week in the Woods.
34. Breaking Dawn (08.06.2008)
By: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: young adult fiction/fantasy/teenage romance
Bex rating: 7
Plot Spoiler Warning!
I feel hesitant to admit that I couldn’t put it down. It surprised me by being the most well-written of the four Twilight books (though I think the first is still the best one, as far as originality goes).
Here are the things I liked:
Loved the description of Bella being turned into a vampire while under sedation. I think this was a great example of Meyer’s writing at its best. It sounded horribly painful.
I was surprised that the wedding actually happened, and right at the beginning of the book, too. Thanks, Steph, for not dragging out the wretched Bella/Jacob/Edward love triangle. (Read my thoughts on that debacle from last year’s book review).
All the new vampires with their special gifts and abilities were excellent additions to the story.
I liked the idea of Renesmee—the whole vampire/human lovechild anomaly was a cool idea.
Bella is by far more likeable and . . . well, useful as a vampire.
Here are the things I didn’t like:
How the story totally built up to this huge confrontation with the Volturi and then it didn’t happen. I smell a fifth book down the road--give it up, Meyer.
The name “Renesmee.” Dumb.
The nickname “Nessie.” And dumber.
Once again, the rampantly overused “ugh.” Hello, where’s your editor? I counted fifteen “ugh’s” before I stopped keeping track—and that was at halfway through the book.
33. The Boy Who Owned the School (08.02.2008)
By: Gary Paulsen
Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Coming-of-age/Comedy/Romance
Bex Rating: 8
I always enjoy a Gary Paulsen book. This is one of his short books, and is a sadly funny story of a geeky boy named Jacob whose only goal is to go unnoticed through high school. Then he falls in love with the prettiest, nicest girl at school. It was a quick read and very enjoyable. The last paragraph could not have been more perfect.
32. Penny From Heaven (07.19.2008)
By: Jennifer Holm
Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Coming-of-age/Historical Fiction/Newbery Honor (2007)
Bex rating: 9!
I loved this book from beginning to end! I laughed out loud more than once, and even got a little teary a few times. I was especially impressed with the natural flow from one chapter to the next--Jennifer Holm is a very gifted writer and I will definitely be checking out her other Newbery winner, Our Only May Amelia (2000).
It's set in the 1950s, and is the story of an almost-twelve-year-old girl named Penny, whose summer is ruined when her mother won't let her go to the movies or the public swimming pool, because she's afraid she'll get polio. Penny's father died when she was a baby, but she's very close with her father's Italian family, though her mother doesn't have anything to do with them (the descriptions of the Italian food alone make this book worth the read). Penny's summer is made even worse when she finds out that her mom is dating the milkman (there's a hilarious scene when the milkman is over for dinner and Penny is totally nasty to him. He is offered several drinks and then Penny innocently suggests a glass of milk).
Jennifer Holm based most of the plot on stories from her own family and her Italian heritage. There's a lot of true information about Italian internment camps during World War II, and the afterword is as interesting as the book. I recommend this book to everyone--despite my TML (Tired Mommy Lifestyle), I stayed up till 2 AM to finish it.
31. The Door in The Wall (07.18.2008)
By: Marguerite deAngeli
Genre: Juvenile Fiction/Historical Fiction/Newbery Medal (1950)
Bex rating: 7.5
A very quick read, and fairly endearing. I was intrigued by the short foreword: As always, Mama was astonished that anyone would think her work superior enough to win the Newbery Medal. To say she was thrilled would be an understatement . . . Her sense of wonder and modesty about her talent were things that lent her work such charm, in both the text and the illustrations, and her love of people, especially children, is evident throughout.
-Ted deAngeli 1989
Marguerite De Angeli's illustrations really are beautiful, and it's a sweet story about a boy named Robin who learns to overcome a crippling physical disability. He is taught by a monk named Brother Luke to "follow the wall till he comes to a door," and this is the theme and moral of the short story.
30. The Ultimate Cheapskate's Road Map to True Riches (07.18.2008)
By: Jeff Yeager
Genre: Self-Help/Money Management
Bex rating: 8
This is Jeff Yeager's manifesto on how to be happy with what you have and to not be constantly looking for more--he calls it "slaying your enoughosaurus." Here are some of my favorite tidbits that really rang true for me:
- [This book is] about avoiding one of the great modern-day financial pitfalls: allowing your expenses to rise to meet or even exceed your income. It's about establishing a permanent standard of living, one that's both comfortable and affordable, rather than constantly chasing an escalating standard of living. It's about not becoming dependant on a salary and lifestyle that might be unsustainable or, in the end, unsatisfying."
- There is no relationship between wealth and happiness at some point just north of the U.S. poverty line.
- Ironically, as the world has become more complex and we increasingly depend on others to do things for us, the reality is that it has never been easier to do most things for ourselves.
- Near the top of my Top Ten Stupid Need-More-Money Myths lists has to be the statement I've heard repeatedly from both fitness "experts" and everyday people: "It costs more money to eat healthy." What flummadiddle. If you believe that, you should have the US Department of Agriculture's Food Pyramid surgically attached to your butt so that it reminds you every time you sit down to a meal just how wrong you are . . . the foods you should be eating most often (like grains, fruits, and vegetables) tend to cost the least. It's the expensive stuff--like red meats, cheeses, and processed foods--that's bad for you, particularly if you can afford to eat them in large quantities.
(I loved the chapter on food, because Yeager contends that the ideal diet consists mostly of grains, fruits and vegetables that are in season, and that meat should be eaten sparingly. Hmmm . . . it sounds kind of familiar . . . like a revelation that was received by the prophet, Joseph Smith, way back in 1833, before there was a lot of definitive scientific research done about healthy eating habits. Check out the "Word of Wisdom." I really loved this chapter because I have totally thought before that it costs more money to eat healthily--Yeager successfully convinced me otherwise.)
- If "starter home" were part of a word association test, I should instantly spout "first marriage" in response. Both terms were initiated by my generation and use adjectives to confer temporary status on things that were previously assumed to be permanent . . . I'm talking about the luxury of being able to make your house your home. By that, I mean having the freedom to redesign, remodel, decorate, customize, and otherwise modify your house around your unique interests, activities, needs, and personalities, without concern for the impact those actions will have on the impending resale of your house.
- Forget about a tree falling in the forest when there's no one around to hear it. What I really want to know is: Would anyone drive a sixty-thousand dollar automobile if no one were there to see them in it?
- Spend less money and you'll have more time. More time to do more, see more, be more. More time to have more experiences . . . The breadth and diversity of the experiences we put ourselves through while we're here on earth are equally as important as the depth of those experiences and vastly more important than how much we spend on those experiences . . . I'm striving to become a well-rounded, experience-schooled, caring human being who values time and the things you can do with it more than money and the things you can buy with it.
Early on in the book, Yeager challenges his readers to have a "fiscal fast": to go for a specified amount of time (he recommends one week as a start) without spending any money. And I mean ANY money. These are the condensed rules:
1. Try to "fiscally fast" for at least one week
2. Everyone in the family plays
3. ALL SPENDING is suspended (agree upon exceptions beforehand, like gas to get to work, or pre-arranged bills)
4. No hoarding in advance! (this was the toughest one)
5. Keep a short written record of what was hard and what you learned each day
I attempted the fiscal fast last week. Here are my personal successes:
- I decided to do it on Sunday morning, and since I don't shop on Sunday, I didn't have a chance to buy stuff beforehand.
- I ran out of Mollie's diapers. But I had leftover size 5's from Brigham, so I just used those instead.
- I ran out ketchup and honey, two things that I use every day, but I---okay, my kids--just went without.
- I ran out of packing tape (gasp!), but just folded boxes closed in the mean time. (This was easily one of the hardest things to do--how I desperately wanted to take a trip to Wal-Mart to buy more tape!)
- I thought I ran out of shampoo, but then rummaged around under the bathroom sink till I found a full bottle of (bleh) Suave Ocean-Breeze Scented Shampoo ("ocean breeze" being near the top of my least favorite scents, next to diaper-scented and dead-animal-scented. This was a bottle that Allen purchased unknowingly and which I promptly hid from view . . . but it saved the day! I admit, I'm glad I had plenty of conditioner, so my hair smelled like yummy-ness instead of like octogenarian-scented breeze of ocean).
- I accidentally locked BOTH SETS of my keys in the van, and Allen had his set in Florida. I think it was meant to be. So I bummed a ride to and from church, and waited four days till Allen got home to unlock my car and get my keys. On the fourth day, I had my mother-in-law's car, and used it only to get FREE boxes to keep on packing, and to go to my in-laws house to take my boys swimming. Thanks, Mom!
Personal setbacks:
- I wrote a $7 check (admission fee) to my dear friend Linda, who generously took both of my boys to Pump it Up! (an indoor playplace) so I could get some box-packing done. Though it was "unscheduled," it was definitely money well spent. Thanks, Linda!
- I caved on Saturday night and spent $20 at the grocery store for milk, eggs, bananas, and a lot of cold cereal. I could have gotten by without, but Sunday morning is plenty difficult even when I have milk.
Though I didn't make it the whole week, I feel good about how little I did spend, and the experiment definitely opened my eyes to how often I justify dashing to the store for a little of this or that--spending gas, money, and time to get things that just a little preparation could prevent! I felt more innovative with the things I had on hand, and I was pleased to realize how much non-perishable food I actually have in my small apartment. It really was an empowering experiment, and I dare anyone to try it! This is the sort of experiment that you can only gain from!
Yeager is incredibly funny, and I would have given this book a "9" or above, but his humor definitely got too raunchy for my taste. It was unfortunately pretty constant and, I thought, rather misogynistic.
Bottom line: this book gave me a lot of things to think about, a ton of ideas on ways I can cut financial expenses, and motivated me to just plain "go without" things that really aren't necessary and that don't actually bring me happiness. I feel like my focus has been appropriately realigned to what really brings me lasting joy: learning new things, my religion, and, most importantly, my family. I will be going back to it again and again, hopefully making some real lifestyle changes instead of just trying it for a while and then forgetting about it . . . which thing unfortunately happens with a lot of self-help type books.
29. The Egypt Game (07.10.2008)
By: Zilpha Keatley Snyder
Genre: young adult fiction/Newbery honor (1967)
Bex rating: 7.5
Though I enjoyed this book, I think I would have liked it more if I had read it when I was younger. It's a great story to fire up a young person's imagination, though, because the characters in the story are so imaginative themselves.
Six young friends start pretending they live in ancient Egypt, and they make up Egyptian names and write in hieroglyphic code and dress in Egyptian costumes. (I loved the descriptions of all the books about Egypt that the kids devour, so they can learn more and more about their favorite place). It's got some great suspense, and the kids end up solving a somewhat chilling neighborhood mystery at the end. I think Snyder does a great job of capturing the way young people really play and interact with each other.
28. Everything on a Waffle (07.09.2008)
By: Polly Horvath
Genre: juvenile fiction/Newbery honor (2002)
Bex rating: 7.5
This was a quick and fun read--it's the story of a girl named Primrose Squarp, whose mother and father have been lost at sea. Everyone but Primrose thinks they have died, and the only person who understands Primrose is the owner of a restaurant called the Girl on the Red Swing. The unique thing about TGotRS is that, no matter what you order to eat, it comes on a waffle. It's sort of a metaphor for the whole story--you can choose to take whatever life throws you with despair or with hope.
Another fun thing about this book is that there is a ridiculous or delicious recipe at the end of each chapter. The book is slightly reminiscent of a Roald Dahl story, but the ridiculous elements seem a little forced.
27. Olive's Ocean (07.06.2008)
By: Kevin Henkes
Genre: young adult/coming-of-age/Newbery honor (2004)
Bex rating: 6
Didn't love it. There was some really beautiful writing, and I loved the relationship between Martha and her grandmother, but overall, there was too much teen angst and quite a few swear words. I have read hundreds of books that use strong language, but when a book is marketed to a young audience, I do not think this type of language is appropriate, or even realistic. I am surprised that Kevin Henkes (one of my favorite picture-book authors) wrote this, and more surprised that it won a Newbery.
26. A Single Shard (07.03.2008)
By: Linda Sue Park
Genre: juvenile/historical fiction/Newbery medal
Bex rating: 9
I ran into some friends at the library and we were discussing our favorite Newbery award winners. Linda was checking out A Single Shard for her third time to read it, so I snatched up a copy, too (also, she steered me away from Kira-Kira, and said it was way too sad, for which recommendation I was grateful).
A Single Shard was a very quick read and I loved it! It takes place in Korea, and was slightly reminiscnet of The Good Earth, only not so heavy and tragic. It's the story of a young orphan named Tree-Ear, who apprentices himself to a potter, hoing to learn to make the beautiful celadon pottery of Korea. This a is a great story about work, friendship, honor, and bravery. I can't wait to read it to my boys when they are older.
One of my favorite scenes in the book was when Tree-Ear has his first full meal, cooked just for him:
Tree-Ear picked up the chopsticks and stared for a moment. Of one thing he was certain; the feast-day banquets in the palace of the King could never better the modest meal before him, for he had earned it.
25. Al Capone Does My Shirts (07.03.2008)
By: Gennifer Choldenko
Genre: young adult/historical fiction/coming-of-age/Newbery honor (2005)
Bex rating: 9.5
Wow. I just finished this book and it was incredible. It started a little slowly for me, but definitely picked up . . . I cried a few times at the end. It was moving, fun, and amazingly well-researched. It won a Newbery honor in 2005 (it was "beaten" for the Newbery medal by Kira-Kira, which I am adding to my reading list, so I can see for myself if it deserved the medal over Capone).
It's the fictional story of a boy named Moose, who moves with his family to Alcatraz Island in 1935, where his dad was hired as a prison guard and electrician. Moose is sort of forced to care for his older autistic sister, and the story centers a lot around his conflicted feelings about the responsibilities he has to assume. It's written from his point of view, and the author does an excellent job of putting the reader in Moose's place.
The afterword is even more interesting than the book. Choldenko gives an overview of the research that went into this book, and there's some really cool information about Alcatraz Island . . . almost everything described in the book about life on Alcatraz was accurate. I loved this book, and I highly recommend it! If you're wondering about age-appropriateness, I would rank it for age 12 and up--there are few serious incidents that make it for a slightly older audience. It would be a great book to read with your tweenager to generate lots of discussion.
24. The Moor (06.30.2008)
By: Laurie R. King
Genre: Mystery/Historical Fiction/Sherlock Holmes
Bex Rating: 8.5
This is the fourth installment in Laurie King's Mary Russell series, and I liked it more than the third. It made me want to start taking tea in the afternoons ("Tea" meaning an entire meal that consists of things like scones and biscuits and cakes and preserves. Hello--those Brits are on to something here). This one had a lot of information about a real British eccentric named Sabine Baring-Gould (most famous for writing Onward, Christian Soldiers). He was a prominent character in the novel and I thoroughly enjoyed getting to know him. And Russell and Holmes were as fun and brilliant and dry as ever. Reading this book also made me want to read The Hound of the Baskervilles again, because it is alluded to throughout, and I hardly remember anything from it.
My friend, Elisa, says that the fifth book O, Jerusalem, is her favorite in the series, so I'm excited to queue that one up on my list.
23. Good Masters! Sweet Ladies! Voices from a Medieval Village (06.23.2008)
By: Laura Amy Schlitz Illustrated by: Robert Byrd
Genre: juvenile Fiction/Historical Fiction/Drama/Newbery Medal (2008)
Bex rating: 9.5!
It deserved the Newbery Medal that it won! I read this book in one sitting, and wished it was longer. It's very unique . . . it's a collection of seventeen monologues, each one "performed" by a child in a medieval village. Not only was it fabulously written and painstakingly constructed in period-style prose and verse, it made me want to know more and read more about the Middle Ages, and that's a feat not easily accomplished. I loved this book. Can't wait to buy my own copy!
22. Tuk and the Whale (06.23.2008)
By: Raquel Rivera
Genre: Juvenile Fiction/Historical Fiction/Adventure
Bex Rating: 7.5
This is a short little story about an Inuit boy named Tuk, who (along with his father and other members of his tribe) helps a group of stranded European whalers to hunt the arvik, or great black whale. It's exciting, and it's written in beautiful prose. The climax was thrilling, but my only complaint is that there wasn't much of a conclusion. Still, it was obviously well-researched, and there's a great list of recommended reading in the back of the book
21. The Host (06.22.2008)
By: Stephenie Meyer
Genre: Science Fiction/Thriller/Romance
Bex Rating: 7.5
When I started this book, I was surprised and excited about how different it was and how much better it was than the Twilight series. But after about a hundred pages, it slowed to a crawl and didn't pick back up until the last forty pages.
I love a lot of science fiction, and the premise for this book is completely original--which is a hard thing to do in a genre that keeps recycling its characters and scenarios. I thought that the inner relationship between Melanie Stryder (the host) and Wanderer (the "parasite" alien who lives in Melanie's body) was very well done. It was easily the best part of the book.
The reason it slowed down for me was because of the agonizing romance that hijacked all the great sci-fi struggles and tension. It was hard to believe any relationship in this book was real, except for the one between Melanie and Wanderer. And there were a couple of sudden transitions from characters who were on the verge of committing murder to the same people playing a lighthearted game of soccer . . . I couldn't figure out what happened. I already talked about the overuse of the word "Ugh" when I reviewed Eclipse, but it the expression was, unfortunately, painfully overused in this book as well.
That said, I couldn't put it down once I started, and I did enjoy it . . . but it started at such a great depth! I was hoping it would go a little deeper, and was disappointed when it got shallower instead.
20. A Letter of Mary (06.08.2008)
By: Laurie R. King
Genre: Mystery/Historical Fiction/Sherlock Holmes
Bex Rating: 8
This is the third book in the "Mary Russell" series, and I devoured it. The Beekeeper's Apprentice is still the best one (it's the first), but I have thoroughly enjoyed the second and third, and can't wait till the fourth one (The Moor)is in my hands. I personally think that you shouldn't read these books unless you've read some stories from the original Sherlock Holmes canon (my favorites: The Speckled Band, The Red-headed League, Mystery of the Dancing Men). It's not essential to the plot or anything--but you'll be better able to appreciate what an incredible writer Laurie R. King is.
19. The Higher Power of Lucky (06.05.2008)
By: Susan Patron
Genre: juvenile fiction/coming-of-age/Newbery Medal (2007)
Bex Rating: 8
This book one the Newbery Medal for excellence in children's literature in 2007. It's the story of a girl named Lucky who lives in a small California desert town called Hardpan. Lucky's mother died when she was eight, and she lives with her French guardian, Brigitte, but she's afraid that Brigitte will move back to France. The book follows Lucky's misadventures through small town life: eavesdropping on Alcoholic's Anonymous meetings, collecting insects for the interesting insect museum she hopes to open, and trying to figure out what her "higher power" is.
The characters were the best part of this book--Brigitte was a very vivid, beautiful French woman whose accent you can hear, Short Sammy is a sadly comic character who lives in an abandoned water tower and fries everything in bacon grease, and Lincoln is Lucky's best friend, another ten-year-old who belongs to the International Guild of Knot Tyers, and always has a piece of string or rope, constantly tying knots. Lucky herself is funny and sad all at once--trying to figure out grown up things and trying to recover from the loss of her mother. She is accompanied by her faithful beagle, who is named HMS Beagle (the name of Charles Darwin's infamous ship).
The story was pretty well done, especially considering the fact that I don't typically care for juvenile books with a constant undercurrent of sadness (like Bridge to Terebithia and On My Honor). Hardpan is a believable small town with believable tragic characters, who pull together and support one another through hard times.
I know the author is planning a second book with the same characters, but I wish she'd stop with this book, because it's a great stand-alone, and making a series often means that some quality is lost. Hopefully that won't be the case for this one.
18. A Monstrous Regiment of Women (05.25.2008)
By: Laurie R. King
Genre: Mystery/Historical Fiction/Sherlock Holmes
Bex rating: 9
I read the first book in Laurie King's Mary Russell series, The Beekeeper's Apprentice last year. The librarian who recommended these books to me did so when we were both trying to recover from the end of the Harry Potter series. She told me that these books would take my mind off Harry and keep me busy--which is, I think, a pretty solid recommendation.
I loved Beekeeper's Apprentice, and now that I've read the second book, I can't think why I didn't immediately continue reading the series last year! The title of this one is a little unwieldy, but the story was great . . . Mary Russell winds up investigating a new women's movement in London in the 1923 aftermath of World War I. I was once again completely impressed with Laurie King's writing, and the plot and character development were excellent as well. I am starting the third one, A Letter of Mary right away.
17. Here Lies the Librarian (05.08.2008)
By: Richard Peck
Genre: Young Adult/Historical Fiction/Humorous
Bex rating: 9
I love Richard Peck. If you haven't read A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago, I definitely recommend them. This book is written in the same vein: humorous historical fiction. It's the story of a tomboy mechanic named PeeWee who learns how to be a lady from four aristocratic young women who descend on a small town library with their fathers' money to back them. It's a very quick read and I enjoyed every second.
16. Around the World in 80 Days (04.16.2008)
By: Jules Verne
Narrated By: Jim Dale!!!
Genre: Fiction/Adventure/Classic
Bex Rating: 9.5
Now I know why everyone raves about Jim Dale narrating the Harry Potter books . . . because the man is amazing. We listened to this 7-hour unabridged recording while driving across the United States, and it was just wonderful. I had never read this book, and it was such a fun adventure--we were cheering Phineas Fogg all the way!
It's also fun to get a taste for what was considered to be the most modern scientific achievements during the late 1800s. It was doubly fun to be reading about how 80 days to travel around the world seemed impossibly short, while we were traveling 75 miles per hour in a minivan for much of the trip, passing trains in Wyoming and watching the country whizz by. I have always loved Jules Verne, and can't help thinking that he might have liked to take such a breakneck trip around the world himself.
15. The Report Card (re-read 04.03.2008)
By: Andrew Clements
Narrated by: Dina Sherman
Genre: Young Adult/School Story
Bex Rating: 7.5
Allen and I listened to this book on cd while driving to Idaho. I think we finished the whole thing in Missouri. It's a great book to make you think about the way schools are constantly testing kids, and about the way that emphasis is sometimes placed on grades above learning. Me and Al had some good conversations about school and our kids during this recording. Clements doesn't offer any alternative solutions to the current teach-to-the-test system, but he does generate good discussion about these topics, and his characters are likable and real, as always.
Andrew Clements is always a good bet for a book on cd--and Allen likes them too. My favorites are A Week in the Woods, Lunch Money, and of course, Frindle. The only thing I didn't like about this particular book on cd was the narrator--it was kind of hard to listen to her.
14. Poppy (03.26.2008)
By: Avi
Genre: Juvenile Fiction/Fantasy
Bex Rating: 8
I loved this one just as much as Perloo the Bold. It's the story of a mouse named Poppy who goes against her family and tradition to take on Mr. Ocax, the tyrannical great horned owl who rules over the mice.
I really haven't read many animal stories (where animals are the main characters) in a long time, but I am thoroughly enjoying these Avi books. I think I would have loved them even more when I was younger. Though I might categorize them as "snack" reading, it's fun to snack every once in a while. Thanks for the recommends, Melissa!
13. Perloo the Bold (03.16.2008)
By: Avi
Genre: Juvenile Fiction/Fantasy/Allegory
Bex Rating: 8
This was a very quick read, and completely enjoyable, too! Perloo is a Montmer (a peaceful, rabbit-like creature) who is summoned by the dying Montmer leader. He'd rather stay home reading during the Winter, but answers the summons anyway. Once there, he is unwillingly thrust into the political intrigue surrounding the succession of a new leader, and his knowledge of Montmer history can't help him as much as he'd wish.
This is a great story about ordinary people doing extraordinary things, about being true to oneself, about the need for acceptance of others, and about the virtues of humility and peace. I haven't read much Avi, but this book made me want to read more!
12. Daisy Kutter (re-read 03.09.2008)
By: Kazu Kibuishi
Genre: Graphic novel/Young Adult/Fantasy/Western/Steampunk
Bex Rating: 9
I re-read this graphic novel after devouring Amulet. I own it and I love it, but I had forgotten that it was inked in black and white--it was hard to swallow after the vibrant drawings in Amulet.
Daisy Kutter is my kind of girl. She's tough and fearless and capable . . . and pretty, too. This is Kibuishi's first solo graphic novel and the story is totally original and fun, in addition to being fabulously drawn. The genre is called steampunk, which I had never heard of before (but seen plenty of) and it's quite unique. Here is the book description from the author's website: Daisy Kutter, the most feared gunfighter in the New West, has just retired from a life of crime to start a general store and, hopefully, a new life. However, old habits die hard, and she is pulled back into the life of a gunslinger by the ghosts of her past.
There's a small amount of language in this book--but I think 14 would be an appropriate age to read it.

11. Amulet, Book One: The Stonekeeper (03.07.2008)
By: Kazu Kibuishi
Genre: Graphic novel/Juvenile/Fantasy
Bex Rating: 9.5!
I saw this graphic novel in the juvenile section at Barnes and Noble and bought it immediately--because I recognized Kazu Kibuishi's style and knew it would be good. I think I like it even more than Daisy Kutter, which I re-read after I finished this book.
I never thought I could get into graphic novels, but Kibuishi makes it irresistable. He's an amazing artist, no question. He's also got a totally one-of-a-kind imagination, which helps. But to top it all off, he's a gifted writer and storyteller. His layouts are like the very best storyboards for the very best films. I didn't know I could like something that "reads like a movie," but in this case, it's fantastic. The webcomic artist and noted critic Scott McCloud has said that some of Kazu Kibuishi's work is so beautifully drawn that "it hurts my hands when I look at it".
Here's the book description from Amazon: After the tragic death of their father, Emily and Navin move with their mother to the home of her deceased great-grandfather, but the strange house proves to be dangerous. Before long, a sinister creature lures the kids' mom through a door in the basement. Em and Navin, desperate not to lose her, follow her into an underground world inhabited by robots and talking animals.
I don't care if it sounds hokey to anyone, because it was great! I can't wait for more and I hope the series is gonna be nice and long. Check out the prologue for yourself.
10. Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules! (02.19.2008)
By: Jeff Kinney
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, School, Humor
Bex Rating: 7
There were plenty of funny moments, but this volume was definitely not as good as the first. Mostly because Greg Heffley is pretty mean to his best friend and to a boy named Chiraq and to both of his brothers. In the first book, he's kind of mean but learns his lesson and has a change of heart. There was no such change of heart in this volume: Greg and his older brother, Rodrick, are constantly at each other's throats, and the book seems to imply that all sibling relationships are like that, which thing I don't like. But below is my favorite page.

By: Jeff Kinney
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, School, Humor
Bex Rating: 8
I was laughing out loud the whole way through--I love Greg Heffley and his seventh-grade escapades. Jeff Kinney really does transport you back in time to Junior High/Middle School. Below are some of my favorite scenes from the book. I'll be getting Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules! as soon as I can, and I can't wait for the next three.


8. No Talking! (02.15.2008)
By: Andrew Clements
Genre: Juvenile Fiction, School
Bex rating: 7.5
I love Andrew Clements. His characters are always very realistic fourth, fifth, and sixth grade kids, and this book was as enjoyable as his others that I've read. It's the story of a contest between the fifth grade boys and girls to see who can talk the least in two whole days. It was a very accessible way to teach kids about how to think before they speak and to get them thinking about what things we really communicate for. Fast and fun--thanks, Austin!
7. Gideon, the Cutpurse (02.14.2008)
By: Linda Buckley-Archer
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Historical Fiction
Bex Rating: 9
I remember wanting to buy this book when it came out a few years back, but I didn't want to pay $18 for it. Then, I found it at my favorite bookstore of all time, Dickson Street Bookshop, for $4. I loved it! It's the story of two kids, Peter and Kate, who are transported back in time to 1763 London when they are playing around the "anti-gravity machine" in Kate's father's laboratory.
This is one of those books whose reviews all compare it to Harry Potter, saying things like, "As magical as JK Rowling" and "Harry better watch his back!" I do not like reviews like that, because either A) It's because a new author is specifically attempting to ride Rowling's coattails, as it were, by copying her alleged "formula for success" (such as the Spiderwick Chronicles--which I read two of . . . they're fine for a ten-year-old, but they're so much like the Chronicles of Narnia, only without good writing or a deep moral premise), or B) it's a writer who really has done something, if not new, then at least unique, and they deserve credit for their own style and ideas. I understand that publishers are just trying to sell their stuff, but I wish they could let new authors stand on their own feet.
Linda Buckley-Archer definitely does stand on her own. I already ordered the second book in this trilogy The Time Thief and can't wait for the third, which is due to come out some time in 2008. In the US, this book was first published as "Gideon the Cutpurse", but they have since changed the title to The Time Travelers. The historical fiction aspect is fun to read and a great depiction of what life was like in the late eighteenth century.
But why do I always have to find a series I like when it hasn't been finished yet? I loathe waiting . . .
6. The Alchemist (02.07.2008)
By: Paulo Coehlo
Genre: Adventure/Fiction/Spirituality
Bex Rating: 9.5!
Wow. Allen read it first and then bought it for me to read. It's the story of a young shepherd boy who decides to take a chance on following his "personal legend" (his dreams) to find a treasure.
It's a good writer who can use incredibly simple language and a straightforward plot to tell, not just a good story, but a profoundly inspirational and thought-provoking one. This book reminded me a little bit of Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince. Paulo Coehlo is a Brazilian writer, and his books are some of the most-translated and most-published works throughout the world. The Alchemist makes you think about what you really want to accomplish in your life, and how, with God's help, you can do it. It was a very easy and quick read, but filled with some great truths. I'll definitely be reading it again!
5. Gentlemen of the Road (01.31.2008)
By: Michael Chabon
Genre: Adventure
Bex rating: 8
There are few writers that have Chabon's gift for language. I do love being goaded into using the dictionary, but more than that, I love his long, beautifully constructed, clause-filled sentences that cause me to re-read to get the full meaning. I've never read a style like his. This is a pPulitzerprize winning author who has gone back to writing a genre that he loved as a boy. It's the story of two friends, Amram: a giant, axe-wielding African warrior, and Zelikman: a lean, physician-turned-fighter whose specialty is swordplay. They are gentlemen of the road . . . which means: professional scoundrels. It was a fun and fast read, and I look forward to reading some more Chabon. If you're going to read a book of his, try The Final Solution first.
4. The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands (audiobook 01.26.2008)
By: Dr. Laura Schlessinger
Genre: self help/psychology/marriage
Bex Rating: 8.5
I officially recommend this book to all of my married friends. The audio version was especially nice, because you get to hear Dr. Laura herself, and she definitely employs some creative nuances with her voice. Three people have told me that I should read this book: my mom, Cori, and Linda. And all three of them sounded so smug when I told them how much I liked it. I GET THE HINT!
I've never been a Dr. Laura fan, and I poo-pooed (pooh-poohed?) this book when my mom suggested it a few years back. But I just listened to the audiobook and I must admit that I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not only that . . . most of the things that Dr. Laura talks about really rang true for me. I feel so motivated to work harder and be better at showing appreciation to my husband by the way I care for him and myself and our family. When Allen saw the cd, he said, "What the heck is this? I don't like this title." I answered in an offhand manner, "Oh--it's just a book about being kind and appreciative to your husband and being better at fixing meals, keeping house, and making yourself look nice for him." To which he responded, "Oh. Okay then. I guess you can listen to this."
3. The Memory-Keeper's Daughter (01.24.2008)
By: Kim Edwards
Genre: Is depressing a genre? If not, then I guess it falls into contemporary fiction
Bex Rating: 5
Ugh: it's a word that I don't even like to use. I felt like I was in a dark gloomy cloud while I was reading this book. I only kept going because it was for a book club, and I didn't want to be that person at the book club who hadn't read or finished the book. (Which is one of the worst reasons to read a book you don't like, I must belatedly admit).
I don't think this book would have affected me quite so negatively if I didn't have a brand-new baby and emotions gone amok. It's the story of a man who delivers his wife's twins and gives one of them away because she has Down's Syndrome, then tells his wife (who was unconscious for the birth) that that baby died. The rest of the story is pretty much a drawn-out description of how their marriage falls apart because of this terrible secret and their "surviving" twin raises himself amid his parents' angst-riddled relationship.
I did like all the sections about Phoebe, the Down's twin, who is being raised in another town by the nurse who helped to deliver her.
The writing was fairly good, and it was a great study of deceit vs. truth, but, in the tradition of John Steinbeck novels, the subject matter and plot was too bleak for my taste.
2. Scrib (01.20.2008)
By: David Ives
Genre: Young Adult/Adventure/Western
Bex Rating: 7.5
This was a quick, fun read about a boy who runs away from home and makes a living by writing letters for people who can't write themselves. He spells most things phonetically and it's very funny and original. Some of my favorites:
"accordionly"
"voiciferously"
"collyflowers"
"innercent"
1. A Taxonomy of Barnacles (re-read 01.12.2008)
By: Galt Neiderhoffer
Genre: contemporary fiction
Bex Rating: 9
I bought this book because I couldn't stop thinking about how much I enjoyed it when I checked it out of the library a few years back. I liked it just as much, but had forgotten how much, er, promiscuity there is in it . . . no sordid descriptions, just matter-of-fact casual relationships, (which may be more nefarious, actually).
Anyway, there are two main reasons I like this book: 1) the totally original and smart writing--I've never read a style like it, and 2) it weaves so many interesting things into the plot: Darwin and evolution, twins, baseball, New York City, Beethoven, marriage proposals, nature versus nurture, and sibling relationships and rivalries, to name a few.
The characters are vicious. It's the story of a millionaire father who tells his six daughters that whoever brings the most attention to the family name within a week will become the sole beneficiary of his estate. Once I started, even though I had read it before, I couldn't put it down.
10 comments:
I just picked up Memory Keeper's Daughter but haven't started it yet. Let's home the dark cloud doesn't linger (I have this compulsive urge to finish every book I start). Never read Proper Care despite my Dad's rec and the barnacles one sounds interesting. Thanks for the heads up on those!
I don't want book reviews, I want pictures and REAL stories about your children. I just don't have TIME to read in my busy, busy life. I have 6 kids, you know...
Becca,
Memory keeper's daughter sounds like something that you have to read for school. For some reason English teachers feel this need to make their students read the most depressing, angst ridden books and then wonder why all of the writing they get from their students is about death and unrequited love.
Ooh-- such a good idea! I signed up for Shelfari, but I haven't made the time to figure it out yet. One of these days...
I also read Memory Keeper's Daughter, and Proper Care. I did not like the first one at all, and the second I enjoyed more than I thought I would. Dr. L's abrasive tone irritates me, but about halfway through the book, I realized that I actually agreed with most of what she said, even if I wouldn't have said it the same way.
Anyway, I may have to copy this post-- I love knowing what people think about what they read. I also just posted a link to an article about reading on my blog. Yay for literacy!
Thanks for the new goodies-now I have more book ideas! But boogs- I think my rating of "Proper care and feeding......" would have been maybe a point and a half lower! :)
Love ya
Bon
I love the proper care or a husband, dr. Laura is some what blunt. The audio came from my house to yours. i've listened to it twice. such a good little book reading wench. love ya bec --sharla
I also liked Taxonomy of Barnacles! Good choice.
I'm trying to figure out Shelfari as well. It's not you, Shelfari, it's me, my lame-o Firefox that keeps "freezing". Come on, it's 2008. Do computers still do that?
Becca - you're always ahead of the curve. Keep it up!
I enjoyed your book reviews. I must admit that I also really liked "The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands." For a very long time, I hated Dr. Laura, but I must admit that I like her now, and I really do like what she says about the proper way to feed and care for husbands. Anyway, I'll have to read your other recommendations.
Becca, I totally agree with your review of the Memory keeper's daughter. I just finished it, I should have consulted you first...before I spent money on it. But I didn't and it left me with such a yucky, depressing feeling that I am having a hard time getting into anything else that is a #1 New York Times Bestseller. Got any new ideas? Or inspiration. I like so many others fell into the Twilight trap and I am now yearning for a series that will captivate me! Hope all is well!
Sarah
I just reasd through all your book reviews and put half on hold at the Library. They better be good! Half of the books you reviewed we read in book club.
Oh and I read the Memory Keepers Daughter last week and I hated it. I was so mad that I spent $15 in the airport for such a depressing book. UGH!
And I finally read Twilight. Not a huge fan. Please tell me th rest of the series gets better.
Post a Comment