2007-12-30

Christmas Brawl . . . er . . . Ball

My friend Jessica threw a swingin', girls-only Christmas party a few weeks back. Let me belatedly describe how crazy-fun the whole thing was.

First, the invitations stipulated that everyone come with a bad high school photo of themselves, preferably one with an outdated hairdo . . . prizes for the worst photo. Second, you had to arrive wearing a wretched prom dress . . . prizes for the most wretched. Third, you had to bring a yummy treat plus copies of the recipe . . . prizes for the yummiest. And fourth, you also had to bring a white elephant gift.

We laughed and made fun of each other, ate many varieties of delectable sweets and savories, and stayed up far too late talking and dancing and having a great time. Alas! I forgot to take my camera, but I got some pictures from other people, and below is a sampling of the shenanigans and goings-on.







As for my photo and prom dress and food and white elephant (which I know you're all waiting for . . . )

Below is the high school photo that I took. I don't think I look too bad in this picture, but it's one of the only photos I have of myself when I had braces, turquoise rubber bands and all. It was my first formal dance, and I borrowed that dress and high heels from Cori. I broke one of the heels that night. Oops. "It's my first time wearing high heels." I didn't win the prize for worst photo . . . it was Solveig with her eighties "wings" all the way. Her prize was a big can of mega-hold aerosol hairspray.


Below is what I WORE to the party, only six weeks after giving birth, mind you. My feelings were hurt when someone asked if it had been one of my prom dresses, because this thing has the eighties written from the top of its leg o' mutton sleeves down to its gathered, knee-length flounces. I borrowed it from my sis-in-law, Heather, who bought it at a thrift store to wear to an eighties party herself. And it didn't zip up at ALL in the back . . . I had to pin a big swatch of fabric between the gaping zippers to keep myself modest. I completed the ensemble with a side ponytail, and I wore my black tights because it was COLD . . . well, that, and I didn't want to blind everyone with my white, white legs. I hope anyone who reads this can appreciate the fact that I am comfortable enough with myself to post these pictures at all--because they are truly hideous (and not just the dress--don't you just love those indoor, night-time, red-eye, shiny-faced shots of yourself?). I won the prize for most wretched dress; it was, appropriately, a bottle of Lady Stetson perfume. Oh yeah, baby.



Jessica, the hostess, won the prize for the best treat, to no one's surprise, because she is a gourmand par excellence. She made mini-quiches, completely from scratch. In cute little fluted ramekins, I might add. The crust was perfectly flaky and the quiche was tasty and satisfying. I am sure I ate more than anyone there . . . but I am still eating for two, after all. (I took shrimp and cheese dip in a bread bowl for my treat--but since I arrived so late, it didn't get eaten. No matter, we devoured it all the next day at Allen's parents' house for our Sunday get-together).

For my white elephant gift, I took a cute little baby doll . . . the head and body, however, were unattached. It caused quite a sensation, as every good white elephant gift should.

After eating and doling out prizes, we cranked up the Boys II Men and danced the night away. Even in an ugly, shiny, ill-fitting prom dress, I managed to get my groove on. All in all, it was a great way to unwind before the holidays. I hope it's going to be an annual tradition!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boogs- you are HOT! (to be pronounced hu-ah-ttttttttt)You're really lucky because that emerald green goes perfectly with glaring red-eye. Nicely done!

Love, Rivka

Bon said...

Oh boogs! Those pictures should go up on every door that says " Do not Enter" I think the pictures alone would scare people away! HA!Just kidding. I actually love that prom picture of you! I think you look fabulous!

Love and miss you!!

Bonnie

Elise said...

OH MY GOSH, THIS IS AWESOME! I am TOTALLY having a party like this!! You know the coolest people! Seriously, I am copying. The prizes are hilarious.

I love your high school picture, especially the ringlets. Ah, ringlets... they're so pretty.

Roylance Rec. Center said...

I don't know if I would have blogged ANY of those pictures...Ooooo...
Wr...rrrr..rrr.WRETCHED! But it gave me quite a chuckle. I love you and I can't wait for you to come home.
Love Ali

Anonymous said...

I wish I still had that peachy peach dress...what a flattering color. Who is the mystery man, anyway?